What to do........ what to do..............

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

Yesterdays' service call: Landlord called stating a rental had a breaker for the electric dryer was constantly tripping. I arrive to find it a 20a 2-pole. Gahhh!!!! It's a Wadsworth. Now, I have a few Wadsworth breakers, but no 2-pole let alone 30a.

I legally fixed the issue on the spot and walked away with payment for services rendered. So: How did I solve the problem without a trip to the supply house, or order a breaker online and no return trip?

480sparky

No single 30s in the panel. There was a 30 2-pole in the panel, but it was feeding the AC.

But repurposing a couple 1p 30s would be an option.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Well, first answer is a BR230.

Second is you swapped with a 30a breaker, like one feeding a shed, or the AC unit that would work on a 20.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
You figured out which leg ran the timer and motor, and landed the other leg on the neutral bar. This puts 120V on the heating element and drops the current draw. The clothes will take a bit longer to dry..... :) :)

480sparky

Well, first answer is a BR230.

Second is you swapped with a 30a breaker, like one feeding a shed, or the AC unit that would work on a 20.

BRs won't work in a Wadsworth panel.

But you nailed it.... the AC required a 20a max breaker. So: swap breakers twixt the dryer and AC.

Some days, I'd rather be lucky than good!

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Now I am curious. Why would have the 20 worked for years? Is it an AC problem that caused a prior swap?
In my experience with various client's Wadsworth service centers, the branch circuit breakers are very tolerant of running overloads (which the 22 Amps of a water heater would be). But, even with the initial overload tolerance, the cyclic heating would lead to eventual increases in contact impedance & more heat leading to final burnup.

480sparky

NO FAIR...I was gonna say ‘or AC’.:slaphead:

Now I am curious. Why would have the 20 worked for years? Is it an AC problem that caused a prior swap?

The 30 was oversized for the AC. The 20 for the dryer apparently had just been recently installed..... by a handyman.

kwired

Electron manager
I can't recall seeing any Wadsworth breakers before, other than maybe out on old farm places below the meter as the utility provided site isolation device, and those were typically what is today called unit mount breakers with a lug on both ends. They were almost always single pole units and no handle ties as well. All other Wadsworth I ever recall seeing were fuse panels. Probably a regional thing to some extent.

Status
Not open for further replies.