What should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You could burn bridges back when they were wood, not so much that way anymore :)
A gasoline truck took a tight curve under a bridge here too fast. It crashed and burned under the bridge. The bridge was concrete and steel. The bridge had to be replaced.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
A gasoline truck took a tight curve under a bridge here too fast. It crashed and burned under the bridge. The bridge was concrete and steel. The bridge had to be replaced.
I think that would better be described as calcining your bridge. The hydrated form of the Portland cement will lose strength as the water of hydration is driven off by extreme heat. I do not think you are actually oxidizing it. :)

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
I think that would better be described as calcining your bridge. The hydrated form of the Portland cement will lose strength as the water of hydration is driven off by extreme heat. I do not think you are actually oxidizing it. :)

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
That and the steel would give under the heat, but it wasn't exactly burning the bridge either.

Flanative

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Ive been in the same situation as a qualifier. When it ended ,the state ( DBPR) has a paper you fill out and send to the board saying you no longer qualify that company. As a side note it is plainly stated on the app to qualifiy you must have direct supervision on the work being done

Jps1006

I don't say this to encourage the reckless attitude of the OP's employer, maybe (hopefully) to ease the OP's anxiety...
Has anyone here ever been involved in or know first hand of an incident where an insurance company didn't pay out because they claimed the install was 'illegal' or had some marginal code violation? I would expect the insurance company to 'handle it' and then rescind the policy moving forward.
But I'm not familiar with an arrangement like this or how you do things in FL.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
A homeless person started a fire under a bridge here, caught a lot of the DOT’s stuff on fire, and collapsed a major interstate bridge into Atlanta not that long ago.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I don't say this to encourage the reckless attitude of the OP's employer, maybe (hopefully) to ease the OP's anxiety...
Has anyone here ever been involved in or know first hand of an incident where an insurance company didn't pay out because they claimed the install was 'illegal' or had some marginal code violation? I would expect the insurance company to 'handle it' and then rescind the policy moving forward.
Given a virtually every installation has some code violation involved, I think we would be hearing about these kinds of things all the time. The reason we don't hear about them is because they just don't happen.

Todd0x1

This was a long time ago. Entertainment venue had a fire in a rooftop air conditioner which spread to the roof and attic. The fire was above an electrical / equipment room. Smoke and water caused extensive damage. In the equipment room there was exposed thwn used as speaker wire coming out of audio amplifiers in a rack, bundled together for a few feet then went into conduits that were stubbed out of the ceiling. Insurance company refused to pay the claim saying there was exposed electrical wiring in the fire area. Took almost a year of litigation to get them to reverse course.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
You. Have. No. Idea. You get off the freeway to go to your $1.5 million dollar house and there are tent cities everywhere with zombies wandering around and tweakers riding bicycles carrying additional bicycles they just stole.
Tent cities. I've seen them on tv.
Full of tent homes.
Not sure why those people are still called homeless

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I am a qualifier for a small electrical company in Florida. In the beginning things were good. But over time he has decided not to do the things I ask him to do on the jobs. Some are minor things that technically are not code but are good work practices. Other are valid code issues but he refuses to take anybody’s word. I have told him numerous times that I am ultimately responsible and that I’m the one who they will come after if something goes wrong. He says I’m not liable and that if there ever was a problem insurance would handle it. Of course he is wrong but that‘s not my question. He has now gotten another license holder to qualify the company (behind my back). Today when I confronted him about it, he told me “ He can’t bid jobs the way I want (legal per code because he would lose every job)”. So obviously I will be exiting the place. But are there any precautions or actions to protect myself before I’m out the door? Every time I find something that needs fixed, he says” We are not going to spend a lot of time on that. I consider this a very bad business decision. Obviously he cares more about $$$ than quality work. I told him the new guy would have to be able to supervise the work and he said “Nope, he can supervise it and the license holder was hired to do nothing but pull permits and qualify the company”. Again I know this is not true. But mainly, how do I protect myself before I get out of this?
I used to see classified ads where a person would announce that he was no longer a partner of a certain business or no longer employed by them. I think that was to put the public on notice. That might be a good thing to do, maybe on social media these days. Notify licensing board & inspections departments too for sure.
No matter what the boss says now, his tune will change if something goes wrong. Keep copies of all emails or written notes in case of problems.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
I’d have your lawyer draft up a letter stating you are no longer license holder for that company with a specific date on it.
send a copy to all city’s and towns where you have an open permit.
I suggest one step farther, when change in corporate/business status occurs many times I've seen it posted in local newspapers under legal announcements. I think it is still recognized as a component of legally establishing a status. (Even though not many ever read a newspaper anymore.)
As suggested by many others a lawyer can be instrumental in protected yourself from further harm, and might even be able to help create and get a cease and desist order as added protection.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
I used to see classified ads where a person would announce that he was no longer a partner of a certain business or no longer employed by them. I think that was to put the public on notice. That might be a good thing to do, maybe on social media these days. Notify licensing board & inspections departments too for sure.
No matter what the boss says now, his tune will change if something goes wrong. Keep copies of all emails or written notes in case of problems.
I guess you beat me to it about the news paper

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
This reminds me of another issue, sort of related in a way.
Beware of people you deal with that will not put something in writing, even when easier to do that way. I dealt with people like that in my 11 years in an office. Send Mr. Jones an e mail about what to do on the Smith case. He calls or comes by my desk. “I got your message about Smith. Do this or that.” I thank him and ask if he can reply to the e mail. His reply is “I just did.” I had no power there so couldn’t argue much. I would note his instructions in my file, on my copy of the e mail.
Such a person wants & loves the authority but also wants deniability if something backfires. “You got it wrong. That’s not what I told you.”

Status
Not open for further replies.