What rooms need to be 2 hour rated

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

Here in MA, up until several code cycles ago, we modified 700.9 which became 10 at some point, to require rules that apply to generator rooms for ALL emergency rooms. Most notably that they had to be 2 hour rated regardless of whether they were sprinklered and there could be no foreign piping run through them. MA undid this I think 2 code cycles back. NOW, 700.10 while still modified to keep the Pyrotenax sales guy happy when it comes to 2 hour rated feeders, they have removed the 2 hour dedicated emergency electrical rooms. So we are now essentially ruled by the NEC where this is concerned. And as such, I think that it is true, but this is what I'm looking for corroboration on, that a) you can put normal distribution equipment in the same room as emergency equipment and b) there is no requirement for 1 or 2 hour rating of that room. Do you agree?

As far as I know, the only electrical rooms that need to be rated are a) generator rooms and b) rooms with dry type transformers larger than 112.5. I am aware that the EPSS needs to be separate from the Main electrical room contingent on the main normal electrical room being more than 150V to ground, so for all intent and purpose, a 480V system AND, what is it, 1000A? So typically you would certainly have a dedicated room for your 700 and 701 ATS's but even then, with no requirement for those rooms being rated, unless, again, there were no sprinkler system (but who does that?)

I appreciate your feedback as always!

mshields

thanks Ron - So you would agree that rated electrical rooms in sprinklered buildings be they high rise or any other construction type, do not need to be rated;

Status
Not open for further replies.