What is the Best form of advertisement

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Hello, I was hoping I would be slammed with work though that is not the case. The people that know of me like me and refer me when they can. My company is about year and half old, got by with just word of mouth and slapping my card everywhere. A new Electrical came into town and, I see him all over so I am assuming he took quite a few of my possible jobs. I feel I should advertise more though I don't know exactly were and don't want to just dump money in ever thing out there.

I tried Home advisor and a couple others when I started and would never do them again. I have been thinking of my local radio station and sponsoring couple groups on there. My web designer tells me do buy face book ads would rather buy something else since I morally hate face book. Though I probably should not get my political views in the way of making money.

I bought a nice location for my store front, and it has a very large signage area with lighting once I fix it up. Needs welding and new acrylic sign.
To fix my Sign to look nice, I have it figured around 8k

So I have two question.

1 : What do you feel is the best form of advertiment. Radio,TV, Newpaper, Facebook, Google adds, etc.

2: Store front Signage vs what ever type of normal advertisement you would use normally.

Seems to me the Signage is the best but I am new to this and don't have to many people to bounce this off in my local area.

I would be the Only Electrical In town With Main Highway frontage. Though building is not is the best of shape since I am fixing it up kinda worried about appearance if I start advertising my location.

Attachments

• IMG_1422.jpeg
    IMG_1422.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20

MTW

Depends on the type of work you do, what you are pursuing. I started in the early 90's and have never spent a dime on advertising. Many of my first customers were from a partnership that I left, due to a lazy incompetant partner. Started off doing work for various types of contractors, small businesses, commercial, fire, industrial. I feel the best and cheapest is word of mouth referrals. If you do the very best work for a reasonable fee, that speaks volumes to everyone that uses you. I did well for many years working with sheet metal contractors doing equipment installs, gas stations, printing equipment, fans, heaters, dust collectors, paint booths, fire contractors and systems and equipment shutdowns. Specialty work takes a little extra effort to learn new things, but it can get you out of the competitive residential market. Tell your existing customers that you are looking for more referrals after you take care of their existing needs.

Look around in your area for specialty contractors and pay them a visit to see if they have needs. In the mean time fix up the building before you put any money into a sign, you don't want to be sending the wrong message.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
A good website and Google placement are a good start. I get a lot of "cold calls" from that, people now Google everything, kind of like yellow pages used to be. Also get a good rating system on your web site for customer input, and get hooked up with your BBB, an A+ rating there also drives referrals.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Most of my work was and is from word of mouth. Thought about BBB and chamber of commerce.
Google would probably be a good bet.
I mostly do remodels and service work. Couple contractors I worked for when I started are starting to push me around ,and I am pushing back. So I don’t know how long they will last.
Want to have me honor a year old bid ya right.:rolleyes:

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Yeah, nobody uses phone books anymore, so that would be a bad place to dump any advertising dollars, print is almost dead, so newspapers are not the best investment either. Google works if you pay them enough money. Stickers on panels tend to get you repeat business if you do good work. If you have a specialty niche, sometimes billboards work for that. As far as Fakebook, I never paid attention to any of the ads, because it usually attracts scammers.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I will tell you this. Small businesses just cannot afford to advertise effectively if they have to pay for it in the traditional media like radio, TV, newspaper, magazines, etc.

You really have to treat your customers right. They will tell other people.

I agree with you on facebook advertising. I will also say that most small businesses that use internet advertising find it does not pay, even though it is low priced.

An easy to use web site, a nice facebook page, a youtube channel, an instagram page, etc, all are more or less free and are well worth your time.

DO NOT hire a low rent web designer though. You will regret it as they will create a web page that is hard to use and will frustrate your customers. If you put an email or contact link on your web page make sure you actually check for email or messages routinely. I am astounded by the number of web pages where no one responds to the webmail or contact link, often because it is being forwarded to an employee who no longer works there.

Also, under NO circumstances allow your web designer to control your web site. It MUST belong to YOU, and you alone. Get the password and make sure your web designer does not change it. Otherwise when you go to fire him you will be at his mercy. By the way, the proper way to fire your web designer is after you change the password to allow access to the web site. make sure that the contract between you and the web designer says you get the rights to use whatever he develops for you, and you get source code so you can hand it off to the next guy after you fire your web designer. Most web designers are pure hacks and they ought to pay you for letting them work on your web site. :)

Rdcowart

Occupation
Electrical license Holder
Google is my best friend now. I will get five to six calls a week from people who find me on there. I have been getting post cards printed up and have been using the U.S. Postal service Eddm. With the EDDM you just got to make sure your cards are the right size. You just go on the postal service’s website and then you can pick what Neighborhood or route that you want to advertise on. The website will tell you which post office you have to drop the cards off at. I will send mine out on Wednesdays that’s the day when you get the least amount of mail.
I quit using home advisor and thumbtack a while ago. None of these leads wants to pay for the quality work that I provide. Every single one of them wants something for nothing.
Here is the link for the EDDM.

jeff48356

I use the NextDoor.com website. Also, there is a local Facebook group page "All Things Livonia" that locals can advertise or refer workers on. Both are free. I haven't spent one dime on advertising in two years, and I have all the work I can handle. In fact, so much that I have been turning down jobs that are outside of the city of Livonia. Perhaps your city has something similar.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
It’s been over a decade since I had a billboard; to be honest, it didn’t drive enough business to cover the expense.

100% of my new customers are referrals.

If I were starting over, I’d print some marketing material and go door-to-door to every business in town and introduce myself and briefly explain my services. Not only are you introducing yourself to the business, but potentially to their employees as well. I’ve picked up some clients over the years that work for businesses I’ve done service work for.

Something I used to do is at every residential service call, I’d walk to each neighboring house and leave a door hanger. Picked up a little business that way. I don’t do that now because I can’t keep up with the existing customers I have calling.

I’d also recommend sponsoring some local events and charities, and take advantage of B2B events. I purposely look to do business with companies that support the same causes I do. And I’ll tell them that’s why I called.

I don’t know how effective social media advertising is but would like to hear from anyone that’s actually tried it.

As for your road sign; don’t spend more than the minimum it takes to get it going. We are on the busiest highway in town, and get very little walk in traffic or phone calls from people seeing the sign.

Edit to add: When I first started years ago and was doing strictly residential and light commercial, I called on every GC within 40 miles or so of me. I got 0 work from that. Don’t waste your time unless it’s a contractor looking for competitive bids. I had to build my name with my clients first, and over the years as they’ve built new houses or remodeled, I would be specifically requested by them.

If you’re trying to do commercial, go to PlanHub and start bidding. But you need to be calling the GC’s you are bidding with and letting them know who you are. It just takes some time to build a reputation, but build a good one and the phone won’t stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
I think the answer can vary depending on where you are located. Metro areas I think would typically have a different approach than lower population areas. Metro areas you probably do need to depend a little more on conventional advertising, the less populated areas word of mouth probably gets you more business than conventional advertising does.

When I first started my own business I ran some radio ads. They are expensive so I only had like two ads run a day. I'd get all kinds of comments from people I already know about hearing my ad. I'd ask new clients how they got my name and it was almost always via someone they know that either knows me or had me do work for them, or mentioned by some other trade person, local POCO representative, etc. that suggested to call me. Didn't take too long and I canceled the radio ads and have never run one again in nearly 30 years. I do believe if you are going to run TV/radio ads you do need to run a lot of them or even come up with something that people won't forget in the ad. Just a catchy jingle, but they also need to hear it a lot or they will forget about it when they do need to find someone that provides your services.

There are places that do have bulletin boards where people place ads, business cards etc. Many coffee shops, cafe's, etc. will have this, place material there. something they can tear off a tag with your contact info allows multiple people to take information before the thing is "used up".

Enter community parades and other events where you can give away small items with your business name on them. I have entered local Independence day parade when I first started out, had pens and other items to toss out along with candy for the kids to get the name out there.

kwired

Electron manager
It’s been over a decade since I had a billboard; to be honest, it didn’t drive enough business to cover the expense.

100% of my new customers are referrals.

If I were starting over, I’d print some marketing material and go door-to-door to every business in town and introduce myself and briefly explain my services. Not only are you introducing yourself to the business, but potentially to their employees as well. I’ve picked up some clients over the years that work for businesses I’ve done service work for.

Something I used to do is at every residential service call, I’d walk to each neighboring house and leave a door hanger. Picked up a little business that way. I don’t do that now because I can’t keep up with the existing customers I have calling.

I’d also recommend sponsoring some local events and charities, and take advantage of B2B events. I purposely look to do business with companies that support the same causes I do. And I’ll tell them that’s why I called.

I don’t know how effective social media advertising is but would like to hear from anyone that’s actually tried it.

As for your road sign; don’t spend more than the minimum it takes to get it going. We are on the busiest highway in town, and get very little walk in traffic or phone calls from people seeing the sign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree on that. Good to have something just to remind them you are there when they go by, but they are typically not going to be driving by at the time they realize they need the services you provide, instead they will possibly remember they always drive by that place, maybe we should give them a call, what was their name again? Then maybe they look in phone book or on line or contact a friend/neighbor and - Oh that's them right there.

Buck Parrish

I bought a nice location for my store front, and it has a very large signage area with lighting once I fix it up. Needs welding and new acrylic sign.
To fix my Sign to look nice, I have it figured around 8k

So I have two question.

1 : What do you feel is the best form of advertiment. Radio,TV, Newpaper, Facebook, Google adds, etc.

2: n.

Congratulations for living in one of the most beautiful parts of the world. The reason Florence is so beautiful is their is not a lot of people.
90 percent of people on this forum are living in congested areas, not all of us but many are. You're not.

Because the population in Florence is so low your advertising is going to be different. To start with, do you even travel to Eugene? It's only an hour and 15 minutes one way :)
Also I think 8000 for your sign is to high. What if you do the wiring and lights ? Just have the sign company make the plastics. Should be around 2500. welding should be bid separately .

My advice to you would be to join every club you can. (examples) rotary, masons, commerce, Kiwanis, PTA , School clubs and sports volunteer, lions club, etc...
Also if you go to a restaurant, if it has a bar, sit there and talk to others sitting there. Do Karaoke, Go every where and even to Church, My point is to meet as many people as you can. You have to be a likable person. People want to hire some one they like and trust. Of course bring bussiness cards with you.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Thank you all for the Input. You all have different ideas, and thank you for the input in the Sign.
My wife and I were thinking the sign would be a good idea. Though as you have mentioned not everyone that will see it will remember the sign when they have a problem.
I thinking of Getting Some magenets for refrigerators then slap them on remodeled houses and give to clients. Sponsoring Local groups is a great idea also.

The main reason I posted on this subject was because as of right now I have enough work to sustain me it seems. Might have nothing for next week then calls come in on Friday and I am full for that week. Though my goal is to have work at least 3 months out so I can hire a Journeymen.

As far as going to Eugene, I have not thought about going there yet. Seems like they have a lot of Electrical compared to the coastal areas. I see Eugene people coming here because locals can't get Electricians to come to their house. So seeing them also encourage me that their is still people out there that don't know about me. It also seems are hourly rate is higher than Eugene, Probably more competition in Eugene compared to Florence.
Thank you for all the input, helps a lot.

Last edited:

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
Interesting to read some of you being where i was at decades ago. These days i've taken the signs off my truck, company out of the phone book, don't update my website or return calls, when folks finally do get ahold of me i tell them i'll old, cranky, and have one speed .......yup, i'm no help here:sleep:.......~RJ~

jeff48356

If you're referring to the paid ads that pop up on Facebook, then I haven't done that either. But another form of it involves local FB groups. In my city, we have a group called All Things Livonia. There is also a separate one just for my subdivision (which contains over 2,000 houses). I get a ton of business off each of those, from either mentioning that I'm an electrician, or people referring me to other residents after I've done work at their houses. And it doesn't cost a dime (unlike the pop-up ads generated by FB itself).

kwired

Electron manager
If you're referring to the paid ads that pop up on Facebook, then I haven't done that either. But another form of it involves local FB groups. In my city, we have a group called All Things Livonia. There is also a separate one just for my subdivision (which contains over 2,000 houses). I get a ton of business off each of those, from either mentioning that I'm an electrician, or people referring me to other residents after I've done work at their houses. And it doesn't cost a dime (unlike the pop-up ads generated by FB itself).
Yes join groups like those. Also get your own group/organization page and get people you do know to like/share and it eventually gets around to lots of people and doesn't cost a thing other than whatever time you put into it.

sparky1118

Occupation
Master Electrician
Facebook and Google has been huge for me. Make a Facebook business page and snap a few pictures of your work. You have an option to promote any work you post. So if you say make a post about panel changes for instance. Promote it abs Facebook will send your page to everyone around your area when they open Facebook. It is extremely inexpensive to do that also. I have done that a few times and gotten a lot of work from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.