What is Incremental encoder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a 3300V Forced Draft fan drive motor. There is an incremental encoder mounted on it's NDE (Non Drive End).
What exactly an incremental encoder does? and how can we make use of it?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Re: What is Incremental encoder?

An incremental encoder generates a series of pulses that can be used to determine speed and/or motor shaft position when interogated by an appropriate instrument.

charlie tuna

the encoder on static drives is linked to the drive via a special cable. this allows the motor to be monitored by the drive.

Originally posted by petersonra:
An incremental encoder generates a series of pulses that can be used to determine speed and/or motor shaft position when interogated by an appropriate instrument.
I am interested in such instruments. What devices we can use for getting most of the encoder?
suggestions about models or suppliers of these monitors are appreciated.

Leitmotif

An encoder is sorta like a screwdriver or crescent wrench - depending on user ingenuity you can do darn near anything.

Basically it is an RPM sensor sensing change in metal and magnetic field (keyways, gear teeth etc).

You can send this signal to the VFD or a PLC or???
You can get either RPM or shaft position out of it with the proper instrument.

See Red Lion Controls they have lots of these and are just one of many mfrs.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

encoders are often supplied as part of the motor package. a lot of companies make encoders and there are a lot of companies that supply instruments to interrogate them.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

I think I got one of those once by sending 15 cents and a few box tops to some address in Battle Creek, MI. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.