What is an electronic low voltage dimmer?

Let me expand on the question a bit. I assume originally, "low voltage" in this context refers to 12v incandescent lighting such as MR16's, etc. "Magnetic" refers to where a transformer is used, "electronic" refers to an electronic power supply to convert the 120 to 12v. Ok this would all be fine and dandy 10 years or more ago. How do LED's fit into the discussion now? They are essentially "low voltage", depending on how many diodes are connected in series. I suspect nearly all "drivers" are electronic now. So really the questions are:

1. Currently what might we use an ELV dimmer for?

2. Do you ever use them for LED's?

3. Do they ever work better than the standard "cfl/led ready" dimmers? Do you try them if you are having issues with regular CL dimmers?

4. What is the difference between a CL dimmer and an ELV dimmer?

Buck Parrish

Are you familiar with the 0-10 volt dimmer for LEDs? They're usually the high out put type of light. They require two additional wires from the dimmer to each light.

brantmacga

Occupation
Electrical contractor
CL and ELV are both forward phase dimming. MLV is reverse phase dimming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brantmacga

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I don't care if one is converse phase dimming or uses a flux capacitor what is the practical difference between a CL and a ELV? ELV seems to have a neuter wire, why doesn't a CL? I want all the answers RIGHT NOW!
Wait, sorry I just realized I wrote that incorrect. MLV is forward phase, ELV & C/L are reverse phase.

ELV & C/L use the same dimmer; a reverse phase will be listed for both. Some dimmers utilize a neutral for the internal controls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I don't care if one is converse phase dimming or uses a flux capacitor 😂 what is the practical difference between a CL and a ELV? ELV seems to have a neuter wire, why doesn't a CL? I want all the answers RIGHT NOW! 😇
Yes, elv dimmer has neutral wire
CL dimmer does not have neutral wire

CL dimmers are universal - LED, CFL, incandescent, halogen, and magnetic lv

ELV are at least "almost" universal. I've ner seen anything about dimming CFL with elv dimmer, but yes on LED, incandescent and halogen.

From a practical standpoint, there's not much difference in most everyday applications.

Elv dimmers cost more, I think