What do you guys use for outdoor GFCI boxes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

growler

I would still show the customers example pics of his choices, including the ones above, and suggest he hire his own stonemason to make holes appropriate to the choice. Like selecting fixtures, this is something the customer will see long after you're gone.
On a house that expensive. this is more professional than cracking a stone, even if you're drilling just a single hole.

Some people don't like the idea of surface mount boxes even on cheaper homes so it's always a good idea to check first.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I've seen several guys say they like the Arlington boxes. I saw them on Amazon once, and I thought that looks snazzy, so I ordered four of them.

When they arrived, the first thing I thought was Good Golly that's gigantic. But I still like the design of it.

So I had a job about a week later, where I needed four weatherproof GFCI. I thought to myself, what a stroke of luck that I already ordered for those and I have them with me.

I brought one of them inside to show the customer oh, and the first thing he said... Wow that thing is huge. I don't want that on my house.

I don't know how long it's been that I've had those boxes. I was able to use one of them, but the other three I still have. Nobody wants them because they think they look ugly. I still think it's kind of snazzy

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've seen several guys say they like the Arlington boxes. I saw them on Amazon once, and I thought that looks snazzy, so I ordered four of them.

When they arrived, the first thing I thought was Good Golly that's gigantic. But I still like the design of it.

So I had a job about a week later, where I needed four weatherproof GFCI. I thought to myself, what a stroke of luck that I already ordered for those and I have them with me.

I brought one of them inside to show the customer oh, and the first thing he said... Wow that thing is huge. I don't want that on my house.

I don't know how long it's been that I've had those boxes. I was able to use one of them, but the other three I still have. Nobody wants them because they think they look ugly. I still think it's kind of snazzy
Did you explain to him that it's not a surface mount? ;) Just kidding. Sometimes you just can't understand other people's reasoning
One of the other benefits of the InBox is that it takes paint well and blends in nicely with the siding or trim.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Did you explain to him that it's not a surface mount? ;) Just kidding. Sometimes you just can't understand other people's reasoning
One of the other benefits of the InBox is that it takes paint well and blends in nicely with the siding or trim.
Yeah, I like how they're paintable.
Thing is, I tried to pitch those to three other people with the same results 🤷‍♂️

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Thing is, I tried to pitch those to three other people with the same results 🤷‍♂️
Maybe make a small mockup of the box mounted on a piece of painted plywood to represent the wall finish, showing how it only sticks out a little. They don't need to see how big it is behind the plywood. : - )

Cheers, Wayne

kwired

Electron manager
Yeah, I like how they're paintable.
Most of it is inside the wall. Did you show them what it looks like when finished compared to most other options?

DBVM1C.JPG
Same box pictured here will work with "lap siding" and this is all that shows when finished. One with flange for vinyl siding also works but has more exposed and maybe less desirable compared to this one.

retirede

Maybe make a small mockup of the box mounted on a piece of painted plywood to represent the wall finish, showing how it only sticks out a little. They don't need to see how big it is behind the plywood. : - )

Cheers, Wayne

And show an in-use bubble cover next to it.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I've been using Hubbel bell outlets for over a year now and this box fit all my expectations, very solid and waterproof.
Sounds like a sales pitch. Bell boxes are OK, I have had a lot fill up with water and rust out the 6/32 screws, normally have to replace the box. I learned long ago to use SS screws and drill an 1/8" hole in the bottom, and run a bead of silicon around the device cover gasket. I had once found a WP bell type box that the straps the 6/32 screws go in could be replaced. If at all possible I will use a PVC FS style box, and still drill a hole in the bottom

kwired

Electron manager
Sounds like a sales pitch. Bell boxes are OK, I have had a lot fill up with water and rust out the 6/32 screws, normally have to replace the box. I learned long ago to use SS screws and drill an 1/8" hole in the bottom, and run a bead of silicon around the device cover gasket. I had once found a WP bell type box that the straps the 6/32 screws go in could be replaced. If at all possible I will use a PVC FS style box, and still drill a hole in the bottom
My experience, and I run into a lot of bell boxes on the farms is it almost always only the bottom screw that seizes up, and if so almost always no weep hole to drain any moisture that accumulates inside.

If there is a weep hole you very rarely find one that seizes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.