What do you guys use for outdoor GFCI boxes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, what do you use?
Do you recess them? Surface mount?

I need to surface mount because of the stone but really hate to use a deep box + the bubble cover. Feel like it would stick out too much.

COAc0gdh.jpg

The 2nd one I need to do I have the option to recess it. Wondering what you guys like to do and use.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Does the stone veneer go to the ground? What's your wall penetration height?

Your choices are surface, partly recessed (box only), or fully recessed, like this:

If it's not real stone, it can be cut relatively easily with diamond cutting tools.

I would price each option (even if cutting is sub'ed out) and discuss them with the customer.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Is this going in before the stone? If so you could use something like one of these. If you're good with a cutting tool these can even be cut in after the stone.

Clipstone-Accessories.jpg

TC-Tumbled-Dimensional-Cedar-Ridge-1.jpg

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I would still show the customers example pics of his choices, including the ones above, and suggest he hire his own stonemason to make holes appropriate to the choice. Like selecting fixtures, this is something the customer will see long after you're gone.

On a house that expensive, this is more professional than cracking a stone, even if you're drilling just a single hole.

I use a deep Bell box and one of the accordion in-use covers (only about an inch thick when not in-use). I use grey GFCI's that match the color of the box. I think it looks spiffy. Never had a HO complain. Installed lots.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TAYMAC-...ile-Extra-Duty-In-Use-Cover-ML500GB/205689220

Just wanna say thanks for mentioning this! Installed it today. So much better than those bulky Bubble Covers. Good stuff. Not sure how long it will last if someone keeps expanding contracting it but very slick looking.

gttIBJth.jpg

I would still show the customers example pics of his choices, including the ones above, and suggest he hire his own stonemason to make holes appropriate to the choice. Like selecting fixtures, this is something the customer will see long after you're gone.

On a house that expensive, this is more professional than cracking a stone, even if you're drilling just a single hole.

See that stone on the left? I wanted to install the box there... too much risk of cracking plus no room to secure with those brackets. So chose the bigger stone. The right drill also makes a huge difference.

G8ag1Qph.jpg

Same on the other one. Big and Flat is best to deal with

Y8AB0I7h.jpg

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Glad to be of service. :)

When I install them I put a ring of silicone around the back KO. For a rough surface like yours, a big fat ring. I also demonstrate to the HO how to use the box in both it's flip-up and in-use modes since it's not obvious. I like to mention it a premium cover as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.