What cable use for cctv in warehouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malywr

I were asked to install coupledom camera in our building I were told I need to use CAT6 shielded cable most of my run is in open space warehouse approximately 30-40’ will be in area above drop ceiling where are ducts for ventilation located some of them are open or broken from there cables will go down to server room
My question is what cable should I use CM, CMR, CMP I know CMP I can use everywhere but is expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Is it worth installing plugs and joiners to transition between cable types between different areas?

Is it worth installing plugs and joiners to transition between cable types between different areas?

For many/most cases I wouldn't think so and it's another failure point. Perhaps if there are a lot of runs, but I'm skeptical.

To the OP- you won't need CAT6 for most CCTV cameras and beware of distance limits, both for data and for PoE if that's involved.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I'm not the one who complained about having to use expensive cable everywhere for a small portion of the runs.

Yeah, but that's not the way around that. You NEVER want to splice CAT data cable, especially shielded.

I would take the steps to confirm if the ceiling is indeed a return air space, not just "I think it might be". Because thinking wrong is going to cost money.

Either that or bite the bullet and use plenum. It's not like you are going to need thousands of feet. The difference is maybe $200 for the thousand foot reel in your case. And it sounds like you're not paying for it anyway.

-Hal

Malywr

For many/most cases I wouldn't think so and it's another failure point. Perhaps if there are a lot of runs, but I'm skeptical.

To the OP- you won't need CAT6 for most CCTV cameras and beware of distance limits, both for data and for PoE if that's involved.

Agree spliced cable is point of failure I do not want to do that
Design engineer set CAT6 shielded
Some runs will be around 250’ I read cat6a is good to 100m it is around 330’ but it cost 400-500
I think is better to spend 100 more now than having poor signal

The design engineer probably isn't buying the cable :D. Unless the CCTV cameras are 4k images (and I don't know that those even exist), their data rate won't approach that needing CAT6. Most CCTV installations that I've seen use CAT5e.

Are these PoE-supplied cameras? There's a distance limit on that, too (50m for some types).

OTOH, if the client doesn't mind the cost and you don't mind working with CAT6, go for it. Do you have the necessary tester to certify the performance once installed?

Malywr

Yeah, but that's not the way around that. You NEVER want to splice CAT data cable, especially shielded.

I would take the steps to confirm if the ceiling is indeed a return air space, not just "I think it might be". Because thinking wrong is going to cost money.

Either that or bite the bullet and use plenum. It's not like you are going to need thousands of feet. The difference is maybe $200 for the thousand foot reel in your case. And it sounds like you're not paying for it anyway.

-Hal
It is old building some area is very difficult or not accessible for me unless I remove couple flex ducts. When AC is running I can feel cold air blowing I can see duct disconnected .... I am not sure which one
Today I decide will run plenum and will present that info to my boss :-(

Malywr

The design engineer probably isn't buying the cable :D. Unless the CCTV cameras are 4k images (and I don't know that those even exist), their data rate won't approach that needing CAT6. Most CCTV installations that I've seen use CAT5e.

Are these PoE-supplied cameras? There's a distance limit on that, too (50m for some types).

OTOH, if the client doesn't mind the cost and you don't mind working with CAT6, go for it. Do you have the necessary tester to certify the performance once installed?

They just ask me to buy cable CAT6 shielded and did not have me any other information

hbiss

Occupation
EC
They just ask me to buy cable CAT6 shielded and did not have me any other information

Ok. So it looks like they don't care what you think. You are just the wire runner lackey. I would just buy CAT6 shielded like instructed. Don't even worry about plenum. The design engineer should have figured that out if he's so smart.

-Hal

Malywr

Ok. So it looks like they don't care what you think. You are just the wire runner lackey. I would just buy CAT6 shielded like instructed. Don't even worry about plenum. The design engineer should have figured that out if he's so smart.

-Hal

Thank you all for your help

Malywr

So for the future what cable is good to run by ceiling in warehouse and open space CM, CMR, CMP
CM is for in wall
CMR between floors
CMP. Plenum
What is open space in warehouse where people are walking and Machines are installed ? CM is good?

kwired

Electron manager
a broken duct doesn't mean the ceiling space is a plenum, it means there is a breakdown in the HVAC system, and is creating inefficiencies in operation of that system. Disregard the plenum cable issue and fix the HVAC system, it will save the most $$ in the end, even if you end up running plenum cable anyway.

Malywr

a broken duct doesn't mean the ceiling space is a plenum, it means there is a breakdown in the HVAC system, and is creating inefficiencies in operation of that system. Disregard the plenum cable issue and fix the HVAC system, it will save the most $$ in the end, even if you end up running plenum cable anyway.

Good point about broken duct work I agree it should be intact as was design.
Thank you for making that clear for me.

How about warehouse area inwall vs plenum
Cable run would not be enclosed Inwall definitely not Riser. How about Plenum? Is not in ventilations but in the air people inhale.
Could you help me with this dilemma?

hbiss

Occupation
EC
How about warehouse area inwall vs plenum
Cable run would not be enclosed Inwall definitely not Riser. How about Plenum? Is not in ventilations but in the air people inhale.
Could you help me with this dilemma?

The only place you would use plenum is in a ceiling that is used for return air for heating, A/C or ventilation because the smoke from it, if it burns will be sucked in and blown all over the building through the HVAC system.

Exposed cable or cable run within a wall only needs to be CM. If it burns the smoke will be only in that area and when you think about every thing else that can burn in a room, that cable means nothing.

If you have a vertical run that extends between floors, that's what riser cable (CMR) is for. Riser cable minimizes the possibility of the flame traveling up it and spreading the fire to the space above.

CMR is usually not much more expensive than CM, so most of us will use CMR everywhere except where CMP is required.

-Hal

Malywr

The only place you would use plenum is in a ceiling that is used for return air for heating, A/C or ventilation because the smoke from it, if it burns will be sucked in and blown all over the building through the HVAC system.

Exposed cable or cable run within a wall only needs to be CM. If it burns the smoke will be only in that area and when you think about every thing else that can burn in a room, that cable means nothing.

If you have a vertical run that extends between floors, that's what riser cable (CMR) is for. Riser cable minimizes the possibility of the flame traveling up it and spreading the fire to the space above.

CMR is usually not much more expensive than CM, so most of us will use CMR everywhere except where CMP is required.

-Hal

That makes sense now. I were very confused about run inwall or open space like warehouse
Now is clear Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.