What "add ons" are truly required so that I can get my breaker panel replaced?

Sharonc

Occupation
Therapist
Hi! I'm new to the forum and I need a little guidance please. :)

I'm trying to get my breaker panel and the switches replaced. I've had several different electricians quote me, however, they all seem to say different things need to be added to the service so that the work is done up to code.

Is it true that in order to get my breaker panel and switches replaced I need to have the entire house surge protected, as well as hard wired carbon monoxide detectors in each room? I'm not sure if I'm mistaken, but I'm assuming this job should be no more than $3,000. I've been quoted near $7,000 for this job and I have a feeling that's way too much. It would be a QO Electrical panel and replacing the dual function type breaker.

Thank you!!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Well allow this thread since Sharon is seeking guidance from sparkies in Georgia. After a quick glance your numbers aren't too bad if this job were here in NJ.

Last edited:
Hi! I'm new to the forum and I need a little guidance please. :)

I'm trying to get my breaker panel and the switches replaced. I've had several different electricians quote me, however, they all seem to say different things need to be added to the service so that the work is done up to code.

Is it true that in order to get my breaker panel and switches replaced I need to have the entire house surge protected, as well as hard wired carbon monoxide detectors in each room? I'm not sure if I'm mistaken, but I'm assuming this job should be no more than $3,000. I've been quoted near $7,000 for this job and I have a feeling that's way too much. It would be a QO Electrical panel and replacing the dual function type breaker.

Thank you!!

The current version of the NEC does require surge protection at the service. It is up to your local jurisdiction if that would be required, but I would think it would be. I can't imagine smoke or CO detectors being required, never heard of that.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I just did a job in Ga a year ago. There rules are similar to what is in my State. The smoke and carbon alarms are allowed to be battery operated unless you are opening up walls and ceilings. I would guess if the service is not being upgraded, and only the panel is being replaced, you shouldn't be required to add the surge protection. I know I wasn't required to.
AFCI were not mentioned in the OP, but Ga goes with the code and only requires them if a circuit is being extended more than 6', or a new circuit being run.
$7K is way too much for just a panel change in that area.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
In California there's a state law that requires smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to be present or installed in all required locations when any work is done over $1000. But none of the jurisdictions I work in require them to be hardwired for an existing house. You'd have to research Georgia law to see if there's something like that there, although I'm a bit skeptical that GA is more stringent than CA.

The surge protector could be required now in your area, and I might recommend doing it anyway, but it shouldn't add more than a couple hundred to your cost, max.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I'm trying to get my breaker panel and the switches replaced
New panel in same place as existing? Sometimes we have to relocate from clothes closet or bathroom

Adding outside disconnect?

Same size service?

Why QO?

Lots of variables, $7k sounds high to me, but I've been wrong before

Or maybe that's the price because they can

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
As I said in your other thread, don't replace anything until you know what the problem is.

Replacing parts is a terrible and expensive troubleshooting method.

You would be better off paying me to come down and look at it.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC
Since your occupation is "Therapist", it is likely that the local electricians have a better understanding of the cost associated with a panel changeout, and what is required in your local area.

In my area, yes on the SPD, yes on the CO/smoke detectors, although they would allow battery operated ones, and the cost is not unreasonable.

You will better off finding a qualified and competent local electrician, and then trusting him. This may take some time to sort the Heroes from the Zeros, but its time well spent.