Well, THAT was a pleasant surprise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

Started a whole house refit this morning. New lights, devices, bath fans etc. all around. I cringed when I figured the house was built in the 50s, so every device box would be undersized and worse..... 1" of wire. So I was not looking forward to replacing all the devices to say the least.

What a nice surprise!

Free Conductors.jpg

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC
I remodeled/rewired a dental office built in the '60's.

Every device and outlet box had at least 12" of wire.

It was kind of weird. Just...So...Much...Wire. :oops:

Just spent the day wondering Why The heck. But loving it all the same. :D

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Probably figured because he back stabbed somebody was going to have to cut some of those back.

-Hal
I dont know, I've come across too many were you could barely get the device out of the box and get a pair of diagonals in between. Always wondered how they even got the wire pushed into the backs, get their 5yr old to wire them, my fingers definitely couldn't hold the wire and push into device with the room left.
Maybe used heat shrink after backstabbing device so they didn't have all that excess wire in the box. Told that to a young apprentice and he believed me. Lol.

norcal

Built in the 50's and still has backstabbed receptacles working. Hummm ... LOL

Older backstabs were a little more robust then now, wider clips now, took out a bunch that were installed in 1964, & 1968, backstabs were fine, the receptacles were just plain worn out.

480sparky

I bet that apprentice got fired for "wasting" all that wire. Lol
You sure your post wasn't suppose to be in the thanksgivings post? Lol

He probably went on to hang out his own shingle, did his own thing, and retired a wealthy man 3 years ago and how sits on the beach of a remote desert island sippin' pina coladas all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.