Weatherproof cu/al pipe clamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Are you talking about a bonding clamp?

Didn't know of any such weatherproof requirements. They would need to be corrosion resistant where subject to corrosion, and outdoors may mean they need to be bronze clamps with bronze or stainless bolts. If they are direct burial rated (some pipe bonding clamps are some are not) they are corrosion resistant.

That is my understanding.

If you are talking about something else please clarify.

DrSparks

The Everlasting Know-it-all!
Occupation
Master Electrician and General Contractor
Copper can be used for outdoors/direct burial. Aluminum cannot. It will corrode. If you are running your water main bond to an outdoor water main, it should be copper for sure. I typically run AL to an indoor water main but I wouldn't if it were outside.

kwired

Electron manager
Copper can be used for outdoors/direct burial. Aluminum cannot. It will corrode. If you are running your water main bond to an outdoor water main, it should be copper for sure. I typically run AL to an indoor water main but I wouldn't if it were outside.
Good point, OP asked about a CU/AL clamp- AL will not hold up so well outdoors, leaving the need for a weather proof aluminum rated clamp pretty low in the first place. my comment was only considering a copper conductor.

iwire

Staff member
The OP is an instructor, inspector and plan reviewer.

I bet he knows the rules and is just asking about the product.

kwired

Electron manager
The OP is an instructor, inspector and plan reviewer.

I bet he knows the rules and is just asking about the product.
I guess my first reply was to indicate they are out there, but missed the fact he included aluminum wire, my second post leaves me asking why there is even a need for such a product for use with aluminum wire?

RICK NAPIER

This is for gas pipe bonding. They have run an aluminum conductor outside to the gas pipe. This is over 18" from the ground but I did not know if pipe clamps for aluminum were corrosion rated but I have some that are. Thank you for your help.

kwired

Electron manager
This is for gas pipe bonding. They have run an aluminum conductor outside to the gas pipe. This is over 18" from the ground but I did not know if pipe clamps for aluminum were corrosion rated but I have some that are. Thank you for your help.
I guess that meets code, still question whether it is a wise practice though. I won't get into the debate over how or where to bond gas piping though;)

Status
Not open for further replies.