Weather Heads in NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjcrawfo

Two summers ago I was working in North Jersey. Driving around I started to notice that weather heads were mounted in just about every position imaginable. Is this normal for Jersey or is there one contractor that is doing all the work in that area. Is there a code stating what the orientation should be. Thanks

Chris Crawford
Field Engineer

[ May 19, 2004, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: cjcrawfo ]

bphgravity

Re: Weather Heads in NJ

The code does not specify a particular orientaton of a service head. This would be a design consideration. As long as the position does not violate the installtion instructions or somehow prevents it from remaining "raintight", the service head can be positioned any way. :)

G

The PoCo will usually have field drawings for how the weatherhead must be oriented for them to hook up to it. It can get interesting if the point of attachment is above the weatherhead. My PoCo has some pretty cool drawings of how they want the weatherhead in various configurations.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

In many of the service upgrades that we've done over the years the strain relief hook is usually bolted into the rake on the side of the house. In order to get the weather head higher than the point of attachment we usually run the SEU cable straight up out of the meter pan and then bend it along the rake to get higher than the hook and install the weather head on a slant. I've never been called on it up here in northern NJ by an inspector or any of the 3 POCO's in the area. In situations where the house is a 2-story and high enough for the hook to be bolted into the side of the house, the SER cable is run straight up and above the hook with the weather head straight up.

While we all like to make our installations look good by installing a weather head on SEU cable 230.54(B) states that you don't really need one and can bend the SEU into a gooseneck. Haven't seen any done that way but it's legit.

[ May 19, 2004, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: goldstar ]

Status
Not open for further replies.