water softener instals removing ground,

Status
Not open for further replies.

sno

I think I know the answer, but I want to be sure.

I keep running across water softener instals that the installer has replumbed with PVC eliminating the water pipe service ground from the service panel.

These water pipe grounds are no longer necessary since the neutral is grounded at the meter?

Is this correct? Or does the service panel still need a seperate ground conductor to the ground rod.

Also, have you guys seen this and would you add one for safety sake?

pierre

Re: water softener instals removing ground,

Hello sno

Could you give more information about the removal of pipe for the water service, or copper pipe in the house, I am not sure exactly what you meant.
Where did the copper pipe get removed, in the house or before the house?
Pierre

hurk27

You will need to add a bond around the water softner as this break violates the NEC 250.52 (A) (1)

250.52 Grounding Electrodes.
(A) Electrodes Permitted for Grounding.
(1) Metal Underground Water Pipe. A metal underground water pipe in direct contact with the earth for 3.0 m (10 ft) or more (including any metal well casing effectively bonded to the pipe) and electrically continuous (or made electrically continuous by bonding around insulating joints or insulating pipe) to the points of connection of the grounding electrode conductor and the bonding conductors. Interior metal water piping located more than 1.52 m (5 ft) from the point of entrance to the building shall not be used as a part of the grounding electrode system or as a conductor to interconnect electrodes that are part of the grounding electrode system.

sno

Pierre,
The Culligan water softener installer cuts out enough of the black iron water pipe to install his unit, then plumbs it in with PVC effectively eliminating the path to ground.

Both services I ran into with this system installed was using the water pipe as ground.

Granted, there is a neutral in the meter but I was always taught to bond the box, which was eliminated when the Culligan man installed the water softener.

Would you go ahead and bond the service panel to the ground rod?

sno

Hurk,
What I've been doing is leaving the water pipe bond, which just bonds the pipes. And adding a service panel bond to the ground rod.

This way the softener people cant... Or shouldnt, mess with the bond again.

bennie

Esteemed Member

The usual procedure for installing a water softner is to change the cold water to prevent soft water going to the toilet, lawn sprinklers, and outdoor hose bibs.

The ground electrode conductor should connect at the water pipe entrance, with bonding around the CPVC.

Status
Not open for further replies.