Water pipe bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

SparkyMarc

Occupation
Apprentice
The remodel I am working on has a customer owned meter pole containing the meter socket/200 amp service disconnect breaker. The house panel is 50' away and is fed overhead with 3 wire triplex. There is no ground rods or neutral to ground bond at the service disconnect. The neutral to ground bond was done at the house panel. If the neutral was bonded to ground at the meter socket/service disconnect as required per code would I also have to run the water pipe bonding all the way over to customer owned meter pole? Approximately 50' away across a driveway from the main house panel.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Back around 2005 it was legal to run 3 wires to a remote structure and bond the neutral and ground together at the remote panelboard. Since this is an existing install then IMO, you would just bond the water pipe to the neutrals and grounds

There needs to be a neutral to ground bond at the main disconnect in the remote panel at the meter as well as neutral to ground bond at the dwelling. I am hoping the residence has a main breaker at the house as well.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
BTW, if you are an apprentice I am hoping you are doing this work with the guidance of the company you work with.

SparkyMarc

Occupation
Apprentice
Thanks Dennis! The complication is I have to replace the existing house panel in order to accomplish the remodel due to arc fault rules. The existing panel is too small. The question is can I change the panel and leave the existing feeder from the meter socket/service disconnect? Perhaps that is a question for my AHJ.

Last edited:

SparkyMarc

Occupation
Apprentice
BTW, if you are an apprentice I am hoping you are doing this work with the guidance of the company you work with.
Yes, I am a licensed electrical contractor, however I consider myself to be an apprentice forever because there are just so many things to know and I am always learning. Thus the handle, Apprentice.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Thanks Dennis! The complication is I have to replace the existing house panel in order to accomplish the remodel due to arc fault rules. The existing panel is too small. The question is can I change the panel and leave the existing feeder from the meter socket/service disconnect? Perhaps that is a question for my AHJ.

This is something the authority having jurisdiction will have to decide. IMO, you should be allowed to do that but I am not in charge..hahaha

SparkyMarc

Occupation
Apprentice
Thanks Dennis for fielding this question. I have been a reader of the forum for a long time and have read your replies and have always respected your knowledge and experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.