water heater

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeNorm

I am unclear on the grounding requirements for a tank hot water heater in a residence(new construction).

The house is all PEX besides the flex lines and pressure relief line which is piped in copper off the tank. Do I need to bond any of this piping? What type of ground wire do you typically run after the Romex junction in the wall(assuming that is how it was wired)?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You don't need to bond and of those fittings. Just run the nm cable to the unit and ground it with the equipment grounding conductor.

kwired

Electron manager
The water heater itself needs an equipment grounding conductor sized per branch circuit OCPD 250.122 in all cases.

If you have a metallic piping system it needs bonded per 250.104, it possibly needs bonding jumpers around the WH inlet/outlet. This bond has nothing to do with the EGC of the supply circuit, it is for bonding the piping system, and in most cases will be a larger conductor than the EGC to the WH is.

Short lengths of pipe like for the relief valve are not a "piping system" and needs no separate bonding for it. Neither does a short length of metallic piping in an otherwise non metallic piping system.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You don't need to bond and of those fittings. Just run the nm cable to the unit and ground it with the equipment grounding conductor.
Agreed. Nothing required beyond that.

Dennis,
I see that your signature goes with you avatar. :cool:

kwired

Electron manager
What if it is a gas water heater with no electrical feed?
If metallic water piping you possibly need bonding jumper between hot and cold water lines. As NEC is written it could be anywhere in the system, even a metallic fixture body (shower valve is common place) that has both lines connected to it can provide that bonding. Some local jurisdictions have their own amendments and want that bond at a place where it can be easily observed (more like easily found by their inspectors) often at or very near the WH.

Status
Not open for further replies.