Wall pack with motion sensor

kevin1564

Occupation
Electrician
Has anyone had compatibility issues with wall pack led lights and a after Market motion sensor? I installed a 81 watt wall pack with a motion sensor that is rated for 1.25 amps led. It was worki originally. Then started flashing after a couple of weeks. We tried installing a new motion sensor with photocell and it still is flashing when in test mode. Voltage readings line side is 120 volt, load side the voltage fluctuates from 160 volt to 117. The amperage without the motion sensor is .7 amps.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Sounds like a problem with the wall pack, not the motion sensor. Flashing is a common failure mode for LED lighting. Have you tried bypassing the motion to see what the light will do when connected directly? That will tell you.

-Hal

kevin1564

Occupation
Electrician
looks like the light was off at 160 volt and on at 117 volt hard to tell. The line side stays at 120 volt on the motion sensor while the load side jumps around. The weird part is that they worked well with each other for a week. must be back feeding somehow to create that much pressure on the light. I was just curious if anyone has seen this situation and would know of a brand that would be compatible. Does not sound like there is an option. At this point the customer will have to have a standard security light with sensor built in to work Is my conclusion.

kevin1564

Occupation
Electrician
Thanks ill make sure to keep that in mind for next time. The customer specifically wanted a wall pack for some reason. all the wall packs I've ever put in have just been straight night lights without the sensor.