Wafer light j box -do you have to mount?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hahnt02

New User
Occupation
Pm
I am going to be installing canless wafer lights (rab wfr6) in a hotel bathroom, old work. Anyone who has mounted these as old work knows you just wire the j box and toss it in the ceiling then connect your light. What is the exception that makes it ok to do this as an old work install? it will be inspected and want to make sure we are covered.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've been shying away from using them because of this issue. Seems like leaving the j-box loose in the ceiling would be a violation but I haven't researched it yet. I bid an apartment building hallway remodel recently. The hallways have drop ceiling tiles. The person I'm subbing to wants me to use them. I figured I'd be ziptying the j-boxes to the bar joists.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Whats your wiring method? looking at 330.30 or 334.30 They both have a sub section for Unsupported Cables. IF it's impractical to get into the ceiling 330.30 (d)(1) or 334.30 (b)(1) your golden. If you can get up there, then you have to support.
To Me any time I have to go into the attic its impractical to me :)

This comes up frequently. IMO it comes down to whether the connection box is an article 312 box or part of the (presumably) listed fixture.

From a practical standpoint, If they are retrofitted, I can't think of what securing the connection box would accomplish.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
From a practical standpoint, If they are retrofitted, I can't think of what securing the connection box would accomplish.
Maybe the consideration should not be whether the fixture is retrofitted, but if the ceiling space is accessible. If it is not accessible, leaving a loose j-box is probably not an issue. If it is accessible, people walking/crawling around up there may be bumping/kicking loose j-boxes and causing connections to be broken. I think you have to look at why do we fasten j-boxes (and the cables entering them) in new construction. The same reasoning would apply.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The hallways have drop ceiling tiles. The person I'm subbing to wants me to use them. I figured I'd be ziptying the j-boxes to the bar joists.

Halo makes a nice T-bar mounting bracket that also holds the box. Cheap too about $4.

Is insulation ok to cover it? Existing bat style for sound between floors.
The Halo ones that I've installed are all IC rated so they can be buried in insulation.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I mount the driver box on the rough-in when doing new work. It's not that hard to make sure it's in a good spot for the pigtail to reach.

However.....good luck getting tools in to unmount it if the panel is under a joist and there's only 2 inches of the hole to work in.

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I am going to be installing canless wafer lights (rab wfr6) in a hotel bathroom, old work. Anyone who has mounted these as old work knows you just wire the j box and toss it in the ceiling then connect your light. What is the exception that makes it ok to do this as an old work install? it will be inspected and want to make sure we are covered.
Depends.
Some manufacture's show the box just placed on the ceiling beside the opening for retro's.
Some have accommodations to mount the j box on the rough-in housing.
I've only had one inspector insist that I mount to to a floor joist.
I showed him the manufacturers instructions grunted and told me to let conscious be my guide.
I see no issue not securing the box when above the ceiling is not accessible.

Status
Not open for further replies.