WA State Adminstrative exam

Status
Not open for further replies.

resistance

Has anyone taken the WA State Adminstrators exam--which has to be passed and needed to bid for electrical work. If so, Please provide some helpful information--outside of what the State of WA has already posted on their web page-- on what I can expect.

msext

Re: WA State Adminstrative exam

Which Admin test? I have taken the O2 (Res) many times. I can not seem to figure out the load calcs. Can you help?

resistance

The Residential 02 is what I plan to take, and no I can't help as of yet. I'm still in the studying process. I just want to be able to bid on jobs.

If you want to learn more on load calculations, then order some books on load calculation. The key to passing an exam that consist of calculations, is to get as much practice as possible. I passed my EL02 on the first try, and never had any schooling. I just studied where things where in the NEC (DO NOT TRY TO MEMEORIZE THE ENTIRE NEC). I studied theory (ugly's), and I did a few load calculations directly from the NEC. I also ordered books--want list any authors.

Hope this helps!!!

[ November 13, 2004, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: resistance ]

msext

I have ordered a few books but unfortunetly they dont cover what WA state asks. WA and AK are the only 2 states who ask the way they do. They ask for info in greater detail then any book explains. See my post under load calcs. There are 2 prime examples that I remember when I walked out. I have a worksheet that might help. I have heard you need to take the class but its way to pricey.$$$$$$. Wheree are you in WA maybe we can help one another. I have passed the first 2 parts of the admin test already.

resistance

I read what you posted on the Load Cal forum. I'm kind of confused on the question myself, i'm pretty much with peter. I'm still in the process of getting myself together for study. I was seeking information that would help me to get prepared before I take my exam--that's why I posted to this site. I plan to take it in Feb., or before they change the law.

Sorry, but I do not give out my personal info-- even though I'm sure you have good intentions. Yet, we can communicate over this forum in PC if you want. I'm sure you can help me more than I can help you--even though I pass my specialty journeymans exam the first time.

Hope to hear from you!

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

I took the Washington State Electrical Administrator?s Exam (01 ? General) a couple years ago, and passed it on my second attempt. I don?t think the exam has changed substantially. If you haven?t already done so, I suggest you stop by the nearest office of the Dept of Labor and Industries, to pick up a copy of the related rules and requirements. It?s probably still free, and it gives you a clear picture of what is ?fair game? for them to put on the test.

I had also taken a review course. It was a bit pricey (I recall being a bit over $400). But I had the advantage of having that cost paid for by my employer. The cost is now $520. You can learn about that specific course here.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Use Mike Holts Master Electricain Exam prep book, 2400 questions. the questions may be the same as he dontated his entire 1999 test bank to L&I some years ago.
Know calculations very well.
Its an open book exam any trademark text can be taken into the test with you.

resistance

Thanks guys! I appreciate the support, this means a lot to me! Will do as suggested. ;)

PS: I should have taken the Admins when I took my residential J-man exam. I passed that one on my first try!!!!! I was above happy, but it's not paying off at all. My pay hasn't reached a high yet!!!!

[ December 02, 2004, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: resistance ]

rswise

I HAVE TAKEN THE ADMINISTRATORS TEST AND PASSED 2 OF THE 3 PARTS. I AM HAVING A GREAT DEAL OF PROBLEMS WITH THE CALCULATIONS PORTION. DOES ANYONE HAVE A WORKSHEET TO HELP?

I AM AT A LOSS OF WHAT TO DO NEXT

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Rswise, please quit yelling at us.

Realy, please turn off your caps, it is considered yelling.

Roger

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation

The simple answer is that it is all in Article 220, and that there are example problems in the back of the book. I think the real difficulty comes from there being so many ways to describe a problem, and that a seemingly simple or unimportant detail can significantly change the answer. The real skill in taking this type of test is in recognizing which information is important and how to use that information.

By way of an explanation of what I mean, you can get a multi-family dwelling problem for which half of the ranges are gas. That fact might seem minor, since you don?t have to include any electrical cooking load for the units with gas ranges. However, the fact that all units do not have electrical cooking prevents you from using the Optional Method for the building. See 220.32(A)(2). But there is an exception that might let you use the Optional Method. So you might have to calculate it two ways, before you find the ?right answer? for that problem.

You can use the example problems in the Annex to set up your own ?worksheet.? My best advice is to study the various demand factors (for the phase load and the neutral load), and to make sure you understand the tables (for example, the range table 220.19 is very complicated).

rswise

Thank you for the advise. However, in Mike Holts book I think there is a calculation sheet that is used to compute the problem.

My problem is that I did do it both ways and still did not come up with the same answer as on the test.

There is obviously something that I am missing.

sach

Just slightly off topic, but... What is the difference between the WA Administrators test and the Masters test. I understand if you have an admin certificate before 07/01/05 you can be grandfathered in as a Master?

sach

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation

I may be wrong about this, but I believe there is no test for Master. Rather, Washington State has a test for "Electrical Administrator" and a separate test for "Journeyman." You can get both licenses and pay two fees. Or you can ask them to combine them into a single "Masters License," and pay one fee thereafter.

gndrod

Hi Charlie b, I have a load calculation example for 200A residential that is easy to use. I do not know how to post onto this forum though. Can you help?

rbj, Seattle

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation

Unless it is typed in a word processor, and can be pasted into the message portion of the reply screen, then I do not know how to post it. You would need to let us know its format (word, excel, pdf, tiff, etc.).

Anybody else have a suggestion?

gndrod

Charlie, will bmp format 578kb size work? I have a new Hp 4070 scanjet that I can paste the 5 x 8 form into pc but I don't know how to transfer by attachment. That's how pc adept I am at the moment. Any ideas? tx rbj

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation

I can't say. It's beyond my PC skills also. But I suspect that that file might be too large to post.

Status
Not open for further replies.