Voltage in water

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Electrician
Trying to figure out why there would be 1 volt of AC running thru a house water. House is on a hill has its own well, everything is in pex except for where it comes in to the basement, at the water heaters, and at the fixtures are copper pipe fittings. This is a very large house. It has an 800 amp service with a low voltage lighting system. I thought I would get rid of the voltage by adding two more ground rods at the service that did nothing, I grounded the copper pipe at the well entrance to the house and above the water heaters still did nothing. I went and ohmed out every branch circuit neutral in the five two hundred amp panels to ground, still found nothing. I am at a loss of where I should look next. Any suggestions we be greatly appreciated thank you

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
We need more info on your measurement. What are you measuring, and where?

Voltage is measured between two points, current flows through a conductive pathway.

anthonysolino

Check your meter, see if you have a "lowZ" voltage function on your meter,read it in that mode if you have and see what it says

you are saying 1 volt correct? ground rods do not do a single thing of benefit for safety. (I feel)

Occupation
Electrician
The plumber is the one who put a volt meter on his copper pipe at a pinhole leak in the master bath shower fixture. He was showing .7 volts ac from the copper pipe to the ground in a nearby switch. Apparently the plumber says this is the fourth or fifth time they've replaced his fixtures in the shower due to pinhole leaks and they are now claiming that it's the electrical problem

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would shut off all power to the house and see if the voltage still exists. If it is gone then turn one circuit on at a time till you find the culprit

anthonysolino

The plumber is the one who put a volt meter on his copper pipe at a pinhole leak in the master bath shower fixture. He was showing .7 volts ac from the copper pipe to the ground in a nearby switch. Apparently the plumber says this is the fourth or fifth time they've replaced his fixtures in the shower due to pinhole leaks and they are now claiming that it's the electrical problem
that might be his meter man, honestly the meters cause of the battery can give you a "ghost" voltage function, I would get a low impedance meter and check voltage again, if it says zero, its his meter.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I believe water chemistry plays a much larger role is 'pin hole leaks' than does AC electricity. A water analysis should be performed.

You said the copper pipe in the fixtures is isolated from the ground pin of the receptacle, bonding the incoming service pipe will not have any effect on the isolated plumbing fittings. The NEC does not even require isolated metallic plumbing fixtures to be bonded.

Trust your electrical measurements skills more than those of a plumber playing DIY electrician.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.