Voltage drop when sizing equipment ground wire...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny89

So was talking to a journeyman yesterday and the gentleman stated we should upsize our ground wire due to the distance and voltage drop.

Situation 250 feet distance 60 amp branch circuit.

Table 250.122 says #10 Cooper for 60amp.

Should I upsize or does it matter? Is there a code reference if upsizing is a good idea?

Thanks!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
So was talking to a journeyman yesterday and the gentleman stated we should upsize our ground wire due to the distance and voltage drop.

Should I upsize or does it matter? Is there a code reference if upsizing is a good idea?

Thanks!

Did you upsize the ungrounded conductors because of voltage drop? If not then #10 copper still is acceptable, if you did upsize then the EGC must be increased by same proportion as your ungrounded conductor was increased.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Thanks!
Yes you must up-size if the ungrounded conductors are up-sized too because it's required by the section that Dennis posted. What size ungrounded conductors are you using?

Danny89

Did you upsize the ungrounded conductors because of voltage drop? If not then #10 copper still is acceptable, if you did upsize then the EGC must be increased by same proportion as your ungrounded conductor was increased.
Yes we did upsize to a #4 awg copper

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
What you need to do is find cross secitonal area of 6 AWG and find out what percent increase there is to 4 AWG, then multiply CSA of 10 AWG by the same percent, your new EGC can not have a CSA smaller than the result.

As a small addendum to this: the code requires you to go by % increase. However because of the way AWG is defined, the same # change gives the same % increase, with one exception.

By definition, the % increase in size from #6 to #4 is equal to the % increase from #10 to #8. However because the values in AWG tables get rounded, you may find situations where if you do the % calculation doesn't match if you use the tables. Since the code specifies % change, the AHJ might permit change by AWG difference or might require change by % difference.

-Jon

DBG

Occupation
Inspector
Interesting discussion, question, using a 3 conductor Cable TC, current carrying conductors upsized for Vd and integral cable EGC is too small, can a larger single conductor EGC be installed alongside and external to the cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.