Voltage/Current Logger

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
So we have a customer that keeps blowing up power supplies for a releasing panel. Our tech suspected that they might have a bad neutral on the 208 panel, leading to overvoltage at the releasing panel depending on what loads are on the other legs. The system service manager bought a Triplett ACDCL200 to try and find out if there is a power problem on the site. It was about $350. Well, out of the gate I'm not impressed. It logged 128 data points for each of 2 channels and then stopped. I can't explore the options for transient capture because you need to have the data logger hooked up to the computer to access all the menus. Has anyone else used this data logger? Thoughts, concerns? Is there a better instrument available for ≤$1,000?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
So we have a customer that keeps blowing up power supplies for a releasing panel. Our tech suspected that they might have a bad neutral on the 208 panel, leading to overvoltage at the releasing panel depending on what loads are on the other legs. The system service manager bought a Triplett ACDCL200 to try and find out if there is a power problem on the site. It was about $350. Well, out of the gate I'm not impressed. It logged 128 data points for each of 2 channels and then stopped. I can't explore the options for transient capture because you need to have the data logger hooked up to the computer to access all the menus. Has anyone else used this data logger? Thoughts, concerns? Is there a better instrument available for ≤$1,000?
you could rent one.

ATSman

ATSman
Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Electrical Testing & Controls
For jobs like this I got this used on ebay for under $500. It's a single channel hand held oscilloscope that can be set to record steady state V & A or transients. Works quite well. Service manual:
file:///C:/Users/tonyt/Dropbox/My%20PC%20(DESKTOP-G9UU8MU)/Documents/Fluke%2043B%20Service%20Manual(164).pdf

Attachments

• Fluke 43B PQ Analyzer.pdf
    525.9 KB · Views: 5

gar

Occupation
EE
211113-1924 EST

gadfly56:

Get a small Sola constant voltage transformer, like about 120 V 60 Hz at 100 VA. Fuse the Sola input. You probably want to load with 50 to 100W. Connect your power supply to the Sola output. So if your power supply uses less than 50 VA add some incandescent loading. This should eliminate failure of your power supply if caused by input voltage problems.

Connect a meter that reads MAX or PEAK AC voltage from neutral to one hot line and see if there really is an AC over voltage problem. A Fluke 87 or 27 has at least the MAX capability. The 87 with its PEAK capability is better because it is faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.