Virtual Inspections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canton

Occupation
Electrician
I just moved from contracting to Inspections in a local jurisdiction outside DC. Many jurisdictions are doing virtual inspections, worst idea ever. I would of loved it as a contractor, maneuvering the camera away from anything I didn't want the inspector to see.

It would be like walking a job with side blinders on or no perifial vision, you are gonna miss a lot.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I just moved from contracting to Inspections in a local jurisdiction outside DC. Many jurisdictions are doing virtual inspections, worst idea ever. I would of loved it as a contractor, maneuvering the camera away from anything I didn't want the inspector to see.

It would be like walking a job with side blinders on or no perifial vision, you are gonna miss a lot.
There is tons of stuff that can be missed during an on site inspection just as easily, most of it ticky-tack violations that have nothing to do with actually making the wiring safer. It's not like electrical contractors are a bunch of sleeper terrorists that have been waiting for the technology of virtual inspections to arrive so they can proceed with their plans electrocute innocents by doing dangerous work and hiding it from inspectors with mirrors and tricky camera angles.

Canton

Occupation
Electrician
There is tons of stuff that can be missed during an on site inspection just as easily, most of it ticky-tack violations that have nothing to do with actually making the wiring safer. It's not like electrical contractors are a bunch of sleeper terrorists that have been waiting for the technology of virtual inspections to arrive so they can proceed with their plans electrocute innocents by doing dangerous work and hiding it from inspectors with mirrors and tricky camera angles.

Yup, and more will be missed with virtual inspections.

Ticky-tack violations that don't make the wiring any safer you say...then submit a proposal to get these "Ticky-tacks" removed from the code.

We don't want those things tripping the inspectors up....we need to keep them focused and finding those rouge electrical terrorists/contactors.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
"Um, Mr. Fine, why are the last fourteen houses you've wired identical?" :rolleyes:
I had a Gwinnett county inspector that was that way, doing retail shops, he looked at the first one with a fine tooth comb, the next 15, he would ask “Is it like the last one?” Bring me the card to sign! Wouldn’t even get out of the truck! LOL!

falconewk

Occupation
Owner, Residential Journeyman
As an electrical contractor in the state of WA, I love virtual inspections. Probably the biggest help has been saving me from getting corrections for no access, when the customer would flake out on the inspector. We can usually schedule an inspection with not more than an hour’s notice. The main limits are new construction and new services, they want those inspected in person. We do a lot of service and remodels, and virtual inspections have provided more flexibility, not to mention some customers are really thankful not to have to try to mesh their schedule with the inspector, in order to provide access for an inspection.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Same here, and was mostly to get permission to cover something up not a final or major rough in inspection.

Yeah, last one was a trench. Showed pics of the trench, the UF, the depth being much deeper than necessary.

But I did have one where I took pics of where we stapled Romex, a couple of switch boxes that we made up...that was enough for the rough. For finish I took pictures of the recessed lights installed and working, a couple receptacles with a tester plugged in to show proper polarity and ground, and a picture of the panel with arc-fault breakers and labels.

Occupation
Federal Contractor/Electrician/Building Engineer
I'm in Washington and have done a virtual inspection. I think they just have to trust that you're not going to pull a fast one.
With the number of shysters disguised as Electricians, I'd like to assume that deep learning technology, VRI(Virtual Reality Interface) and the price drop in 360°cameras or their alternative Smartphone Peripherals Can and will drastically help eliminate the use or tactic of deceptive camera positioning. AHJ will have the luxury of full 360°viewpoint at will as the person on site is approaching area in question. So, now at the same time there needs to be in place a protocol if you will on the professional directives and requests allotted to the Assigned AHJ. I maybe speaking ahead, but with *Deep Learning, *Commercial internet and the *Internet of things, ahead is just around the corner.

*Trademarked/Copyright/Registered.

Occupation

Please see my input on March 3, 2021; " with the number of shysters"on JoeNorm post.#52, thank you.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
With the number of shysters disguised as Electricians, I'd like to assume that deep learning technology, VRI(Virtual Reality Interface) and the price drop in 360°cameras or their alternative Smartphone Peripherals Can and will drastically help eliminate the use or tactic of deceptive camera positioning. AHJ will have the luxury of full 360°viewpoint at will as the person on site is approaching area in question. So, now at the same time there needs to be in place a protocol if you will on the professional directives and requests allotted to the Assigned AHJ. I maybe speaking ahead, but with *Deep Learning, *Commercial internet and the *Internet of things, ahead is just around the corner.

1) Shysters don't pull permits so no amount of inspection tech will stop them.
2) I really don't what all this new regulation and expense on my business.
3) I would be willing to use this new technology for inspections if I could be guaranteed instant inspections. No scheduling. I finish my job and just call up the inspection office. The inspector comes on, I give him/her my permit number and s/he virtually inspects with immediate feedback and results.

Occupation
1) Shysters don't pull permits so no amount of inspection tech will stop them.
2) I really don't what all this new regulation and expense on my business.
3) I would be willing to use this new technology for inspections if I could be guaranteed instant inspections. No scheduling. I finish my job and just call up the inspection office. The inspector comes on, I give him/her my permit number and s/he virtually inspects with immediate feedback and results.
I'm with you on #2 & #3, but if you take the time to survey many of the other post in regards to this, you'll see how many permit pullers talk about camera positioning in an attempt to deceive, that leaves one to believe that there's shysters or persons with no pride of craftsmanship, if I miss understood this, pardon. But the reality of the technology is vast upon us, those opposed to change will take the biggest hits, IMO.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm with you on #2 & #3, but if you take the time to survey many of the other post in regards to this, you'll see how many permit pullers talk about camera positioning in an attempt to deceive, that leaves one to believe that there's shysters or persons with no pride of craftsmanship, if I miss understood this, pardon. But the reality of the technology is vast upon us, those opposed to change will take the biggest hits, IMO.
You said "shysters disguised as Electricians". This sounds like you were referring to unlicensed electricians, not licensed electricians who do poor work. Sorry if I misunderstood.

I'm one of those who said you can position the camera so the inspector doesn't see certain things. I was pointing out a negative of virtual inspections. However, you can also do this when the inspector inspects in person. Some are easily distracted if you start talking to them and lead them away from a problem area.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
You said "shysters disguised as Electricians". This sounds like you were referring to unlicensed electricians, not licensed electricians who do poor work. Sorry if I misunderstood.

I'm one of those who said you can position the camera so the inspector doesn't see certain things. I was pointing out a negative of virtual inspections. However, you can also do this when the inspector inspects in person. Some are easily distracted if you start talking to them and lead them away from a problem area.

i showed up in da hood in LA this morning, to do a lighting certification.

there were four police cars routing homeless people across the street.
there was no place to park. they were forming curbs and grading at the same time.
i walked in 20 minutes ahead of the programmer, after parking partway on the sidewalk,
and partway in a hole and pile of dirt. made jeep proud. looked like a real rugged individualistic photo.

every step is an adventure. don't get none on ya.
none of the lights were on. this is what the ceiling looked like. all of it. none of the lights worked.

i left and went to culver city to the loco weed factory. it was nicely done. sorry, no photos allowed there.

i'm ok with virtual inspections. the first thing i had was some safety guy barking i needed to wear a helmet.
nobody was wearing masks.

so, can ya 'splain how to hold me camera so i can't see them slamming the trunk lid?

2021-03-04_21-04-33.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.