Vinyl Caution/Danger Tape and Energized Switchyards

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhags

Has anyone ever experienced or heard of a piece of loose wind blown vinyl caution/danger tape opening up a switchyard when the loose vinyl tape came in contact with two phases of the high side of the yard? I am drafting my organizations Barrier and Barricade procedure and I am considering prohibiting the use of vinyl caution/danger tape in energized switchyards given the vinyl tape has the ability to pick up dirt/moisture, thus becoming a conductor.

jtinge

Occupation
Sr. Elec. Engr
PM me and I will forward you an example of an old utility guideline for demarcation of work in substations. They use plastic chains and signage.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
How would it be possible for a piece of vinyl tape to short two phases? If it had enough mud on it to be conductive I can't see it being wind blown and if it did wouldn't it vaporize like putting a match to plastic film?
It could certainly vaporize, but if it did, at medium voltage it could certainly leave an ionized air column that would maintain the arc for a significant period of time. (And in the worst case scenario might carbonize and coat the surface of nearby insulators.

kwired

Electron manager
It maybe wouldn't be as big of a deal on say 15kV or less as it may be on higher voltages when it comes to what Goldigger mentioned.

Then as mentioned there was concern of the tape having dirt on it over time, which can cause things to be worse if such a thing happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.