VFD enclosure and ambient air temp (heat)

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

sw_ross

So, I installed this VFD in an outdoors location. It's a Schneider enclosure type 3R with a hinged, gasketed cover.

I followed the installation manual (RTFM!) to size it properly for air flow to keep it from getting too hot.

It's definitely located in a spot that's exposed to sun and heat. Relocating it isn't an option in this case.

The manager told me today that it shut down a couple of times today. They think it's heat related.
When they shut it down for a while (letting it cool off?) it starts back up again and operates as expected.
I wasn't there to experience it. I'm curious if there were any troubleshooting codes to tell what was happening.

We're thinking we need to vent the enclosure.
The supply house can get a Hoffman vent fan (115v). I don't know specifically how it's meant to be installed, or controlled...

The installation manual also mentions an awning style cover to keep the sun off the enclosure.

Any recommendations ?
Thanks!

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
We don't use Schneider, so I can't help you with the specifics.

Most modern drives that are of at least decent quality will have a fault queue you can look through for past faults.

I just had one this morning with supposedly the same problem. A few months ago I installed an ACS355 in a Concept enclosure with no ventilation. I sized the box way over size so the heat would convect out through the sides of the box.

The customer called this morning and said he saw an overtemp fault, "the drive is getting too hot in the box, we need some ventilation!"

I checked the fault code out, and it's an F9 motor overtemp fault.

That's not the same thing....

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
So, I installed this VFD in an outdoors location. It's a Schneider enclosure type 3R with a hinged, gasketed cover.

I followed the installation manual (RTFM!) to size it properly for air flow to keep it from getting too hot.

It's definitely located in a spot that's exposed to sun and heat. Relocating it isn't an option in this case.

The manager told me today that it shut down a couple of times today. They think it's heat related.
When they shut it down for a while (letting it cool off?) it starts back up again and operates as expected.
I wasn't there to experience it. I'm curious if there were any troubleshooting codes to tell what was happening.

We're thinking we need to vent the enclosure.
The supply house can get a Hoffman vent fan (115v). I don't know specifically how it's meant to be installed, or controlled...

The installation manual also mentions an awning style cover to keep the sun off the enclosure.

Any recommendations ?
Thanks!

TFM will have a section with fault codes and a history of the last few. I try to order the drives with enclosure and fans, as in a PP arrangement. Expensive? Yes, but better than dealing with it later. Any type of shade we’ll help considerably.

We built one several years ago that functions well in full sun but it has fans on the door and filtered air inlets.

Some brands are not SUSE, and I was caught on that one and very surprised considering the cost. Last I checked they still weren’t. Brand Y is.

sw_ross

I told them to experiment with operating it with the door open just to see if it made a difference. They did and it hasn't tripped out yet.
When I go back to look at installing the fan I'll see if there are any fault codes.

StarCat

Industrial Engineering Tech
Occupation
Imdustrial Engineering Technician - HVACR Electrical and Mechanical Systems
10-4 on the Shade

10-4 on the Shade

TFM will have a section with fault codes and a history of the last few. I try to order the drives with enclosure and fans, as in a PP arrangement. Expensive? Yes, but better than dealing with it later. Any type of shade we’ll help considerably.

We built one several years ago that functions well in full sun but it has fans on the door and filtered air inlets.

Some brands are not SUSE, and I was caught on that one and very surprised considering the cost. Last I checked they still weren’t. Brand Y is.

I have solved many problems with adding shading. This gets the Solar OFF the case so to speak.

Star

Status
Not open for further replies.