very old code

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan_618

I have very much enjoyed some of the "history lessons" presented on the form by users such as Bennie, bphgravity, iwire, don, both charlie's, roger, etc...(sorry if I left anyone out!!!) I would like to present a little of my own, although it is not electrical based I think you will enjoy it. I have it hanging in my office and sometimes wish we would adopt it! :D

Hammurabi's Code of Laws, circa 1780 B.C Articles 228-233

228. If a builder build a house for someone and complete it, he shall give him a fee of two shekels in money for each sar of surface.

229. If a builder build a house for someone, and does not consrtuct it properly, and the house which he built fall in and kill his owner, then that builder shall be put to death.

230. If it kill the son of the owner the son of that builder shall be put to death.

231. If it kill a slave of the owner, then he shall pay slave for slave to the owner of the house.

232. If it ruin goods, he shall make compensation for all that has been ruined, and inasmuch as he did not construct properly this house which he built and it fell, he shall re-erect the house from his own means.

233. If a builder build a house for someone, even though he has not yet completed it; if then the walls seem toppling, the builder must make the walls solid from his own means.

I believe this is the earliest "building code" known to man. Pretty wild. I guess we had to start somewhere.

bill addiss

Re: very old code

Ryan,

I can see a problem with 228. - It's a bit unclear who's supposed to pay who. It sounds like the Builder is to pay the owner.

Did they have an Erratta too? :D
Hammurabi's Code of Laws
Kind of a catchy name though!

;)
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.