Vertical location of Main Disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfav8r

225.32 requires the Main Disconnect to be "Readily Accessible."

Is there a vertical requirement anywhere? It seems odd that this has never come up for me before, but usually room is not an issue.

In this installation, the panel will be mounted on the exterior and feed by a drop. I would like to mount the panel below some very heavy trim. However, this would put the panel about a foot below where I would normally mount it.

I would swear there was a rule on this but I sure can't find it (of course, I haven't had my coffee this morning either ;) )

Thanks

eprice

Re: Vertical location of Main Disconnect

Does this trim protrude out enough to cause a violation of 110.26(E)?

bphgravity

There is a maximum height limitation per 404.8(A) for the switch itself which is 6 ft 7 in. There is no minimum height per the NEC unless the installation is on a mobile home. That can be found in Section 550.32(F) and is no less than 24" for the bottom of the enclosure.

You may want to check for local code and the AHJ for other issues that may limit the installation. :)

I very carefully installed an underground pedestal in Naperville, IL, according to the NEC and information available from the local code office. It seems the local utility is city owned, and has a minimum meter height of 42" center of the bubble.
Even the AHJ didn't have jurisdiction.
You have to ask questions you don't know exist!
:confused:

bphgravity

Metering equipment is a competely different issue. Usually the local power company will determine and specify meter height and location. However, I don't think a POCO or the AHJ can require a specific location or height of the main disconnect unless local ammendments to the NEC have been made. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.