Vanity Light with No box next to water line in NEW home

Status
Not open for further replies.
I close friend who lives in Ft Worth, TX recently purchased a new home. This is a picture of the main bathroom vanity light location.

Question: What is the code citation (ex. 312.5 . . . ) requiring a box for this vanity light location? If there is one (meaning the code allows this without a box depending on the fixture used).
Question: What is the code citation (" ") requiring electrical distance from a water line.

s Bathroom Vanity Light.jpg

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
300.15 would cover the requirements of the box. There is no rule limiting distance from a water pipe.

I am answering this question with the understanding that this is not being used in any form of legal proceeding or DIY project.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
My guess is that the original rough in did not place a box because the location of the mirror to center the box was not on the plans. When he came back and cut in through the Sheetrock he found the water pipe and just punted, skipping the intended placement of an old work box.
Or came back after the rocking to realize that he forgot to rough in a round box?
Anyway, the result is completely non code and all the water pipe does is make it harder to fix.

nizak

Looks like there may have been a "bar type" fixture installed with what appear to be hollow wall anchors.If the NM cable can terminate with an approved connector inside the channel space of the fixture, and it has an enclosed back plate' I don't see any problem. If it's an open splice in the wall that's a different story. Really would be no different than installing track lighting with an end feed and 1/2" KO .

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Do what this guy did. We saw this at a house we remodeled some. Homeowner ash us to change the bath light... Electrician just cut the back out of the box...:D

ry%3D480

cadpoint

Most building codes (mechanical specifically) have a provision that states that
their runs should be 2" away from other services.

Now you can question who got there first the mechanical/plumber installer or the
electrician...

Thank you all for your replies.

By piecing together bits and pieces from the multiple replies I have the answer I needed.

1 - 300.15 of the NEC would require a box be installed except (F) allows for a deviation if the termination can be made in the fixture (within code).
2 - ? of the NEC states that electrical and plumbing should be at least 2 inches away from each other. (sounds like one of those vague general guidelines) (shall, should, may LOL)
(In my humble opinion this is nuts. There is no way I would approve of putting water and electrical this close especially at or near a termination point)
3 - Yes the original fixture was toggle bolted at the two locations you see in the picture and the owner was replacing the fixture.
4 - Yes I think your correct that centering the fixture over the mirror caused this whole mess and yes the water line is going to just make the whole process more difficult.

This is not related to a legal proceeding. This is a new house my friend had built and closed on the fifteenth of October.

My personal opinion . . . I wouldn't trust this builder to build me a dog house.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
They could have used a round remodel box. Are you sure there was no box there?

Usually when "romex"pokes out the wall into the fixture, there is a small hole without a box.

iwire

Staff member
2 - ? of the NEC states that electrical and plumbing should be at least 2 inches away from each other.

Not an NEC rule nor any rule I have seen enforced.

(sounds like one of those vague general guidelines) (shall, should, may LOL)
(In my humble opinion this is nuts. There is no way I would approve of putting water and electrical this close especially at or near a termination point)

You are going to have a bad time if you look under a dishwasher or inside a washing machine.:D

I think your fears are unwarranted.

Thank you for your additional responses.

Yes I am sure the contractor that built this new home did not use a box.

I stand corrected that the 2 inch rule is not part of the NEC.

Yes, I understand that under a dishwasher there is water near electricity just as there is water near electricity under a kitchen sink that has a disposal installed.
Yes, you may be correct that my concerns are unwarranted based on these examples.

Thank you again for your many replies.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
This situation is not very unusual, poor planning and poor coordination between trades but not shoddy work.

The separation of pipes and wires in the wall is the very last thing that we are worried about, except in situations where, for example, run thru same hole in framing and pipe can rub through insulation over time.

electricalist

It appears to be white pvc and 1/2 in so id say its a air gap to the roof although small. Or a condersate line from attic. Either way it would move enough for a box . The cut in light box didnt work because the outside edge caused the fixture to not be flush so the thought hey ill use the 1/2 or 3/8 ko and make it up in the light. Its common. The bldr or the homeowner may not have speced center for the electrician . Look under the sink if the plumbing is dead center for the drain and hot and cold in are right on then . The center was known

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Status
Not open for further replies.