Utility xfmr

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have plans which show utility transformer and its ground symbol. Next to ground symbol says provide new transformer grounding in accordance with utility company standards and guidelines.

Typically their is not note like that in plans even if its new utility transformer. I thought utility transformer grounding is not within scope of NEC. Should not the note be removed or not?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The contractor is often required to provide the pad and the grounding electrodes for utility transformers. If your utility requires the contractors to do that work, it must be in the plans and specs so the contractor knows to do it.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I thought utility transformer grounding is not within scope of NEC. Should not the note be removed or not?
It is not in the scope of the NEC but that doesn't mean it can not be in the contract.

Even though it is in the contract It doesn't make it a matter of plan review, it will be between the POCO and the EC, the POCO will provide them with the criteria.

Roger

I have plans which show utility transformer and its ground symbol. Next to ground symbol says provide new transformer grounding in accordance with utility company standards and guidelines.

Typically their is not note like that in plans even if its new utility transformer. I thought utility transformer grounding is not within scope of NEC. Should not the note be removed or not?
In addition to what Roger and Don said, see 250.24(A)(2)

I don't really like the wording in 250.24 (A)(2). POCO essentially always provides an electrode at the secondary, but whether you can verify that is not always the case. Also it depends on exactly where the service point is. Sometimes the secondary spades are the service point and the electrician has access to them so in that case I would say connecting to the spades is fair game. But note that section also allows connection anywhere outside the building, it doesn't have to be at the transformer.

Status
Not open for further replies.