Utility Meter Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

designer82

I'm working on a project where 1st and 2nd floors are a restaurant and 3rd floor is dwelling units.

There is a storage basement where the architect is placing the electrical room.
I know I can put the disc. sw./power meter for the restaurant in this electric room. Can I also place the dwelling unit disc. sw./meters in this electric room?

My only concern is that tenants are supposed to have access to their meters per the NEC or there has to be a facilities person there to allow access.
I don't know with this small building that there is any assurance of a facilities person being on site.

Any thoughts?

Thank You

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I'm working on a project where 1st and 2nd floors are a restaurant and 3rd floor is dwelling units.

I know I can put the disc. sw./power meter for the restaurant in this electric room. Can I also place the dwelling unit disc. sw./meters in this electric room?

My only concern is that tenants are supposed to have access to their meters per the NEC or there has to be a facilities person there to allow access.
I don't know with this small building that there is any assurance of a facilities person being on site.

Any thoughts?

Thank You
Tenants or POCO? Where the meter goes is really a POCO issue, not an NEC issue

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety

Any thoughts?

Thank You
I thought tenants only needed access to the fuse/breaker box for their domicile, not the meter or main disconnect.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
While the meter location is not a code issue, the location of the main disconnect is.

The rule in 240.24(B) needs some work as there are huge number installations like the one described here where the tenants do not have access to the main and where the mains are not under continuous building management supervision.

Status
Not open for further replies.