Utility gas meter (residential)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
I know this may vary from areas, but are utility gas meters typically have a classification near and around them?

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
typically not
I’ve read some places on the web for a space of 3ft of space from utility gas meter to electrical meter.
But I’ve seen an a/c unit with a disconnect right next to one and that made me wonder if there’s any difference there.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I’ve read some places on the web for a space of 3ft of space from utility gas meter to electrical meter.
But I’ve seen an a/c unit with a disconnect right next to one and that made me wonder if there’s any difference there.
That’s a utility or gas company requirement. It’s not a set in stone code.
the national fuel gas code says premise owned meter. A gas utility meter isn’t owned by the home or business owner.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
As I recall can threaded pipe connections even give you a classification. I always thought it had to be flanges.

bobgorno

The National Fuel Gas Code, NFPA 54 requires no ignition sources within 3-feet but does not use the word “classified “.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
The National Fuel Gas Code, NFPA 54 requires no ignition sources within 3-feet but does not use the word “classified “.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
but is a utility meter a source of ignition?

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Would a disconnect be considered an ignition source I wonder? Arcing and sparking
Well, it should only arc and sparks when things go wrong...

I’ll be the first to admit it’s a good idea for separation.

Status
Not open for further replies.