Utility disturbance tripping arc faults

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I’ve noticed that when the utility has a disturbance, such as a line down, all of my arc fault breakers trip. They tripped today, and just so happened that I looked on the outage map, and they had a line down about 4 miles away. I’m off the same substation, and noticed that’s the only time they trip is during bad weather. Old model Square D QO. Interesting that it does it when the poco has a line failure, even though when it’s not close.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The AFCI does not know what direction the "arc signature" came from, however they should not trip unless the current flow is high enough on the load side of the AFCI. AFCIs do not look for series arcing faults unless the current exceeds 5 amps, and parallel arcing faults unless the current exceeds 75 amps.

4x4dually

Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Ex-Electrician
Well, that's no Bueno. So I'm assuming that even if you were on a backup generator, and it transferred to gen power after the 10-15 seconds of outage, then all your AFCIs would still need manual reset? Yikes.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Well, that's no Bueno. So I'm assuming that even if you were on a backup generator, and it transferred to gen power after the 10-15 seconds of outage, then all your AFCIs would still need manual reset? Yikes.
Don’t even lose utility power, also haven’t had any problems when on generator. Started when they installed a new sub station on my side of town, about six miles away.

4x4dually

Occupation
Welcome to the Forum.
Thank you!
Don’t even lose utility power, also haven’t had any problems when on generator. Started when they installed a new sub station on my side of town, about six miles away.
Current house doesn't have any AFCIs. Building very remotely rural and still weighing in the factors of doing all the Arc Faults like I should or just using the same breakers that have proven effective for decades. Decisions, decisions. The extra piece of mind would be comforting but the hassle is what scares me. I'll be moving my 22 KW Generac over to the new house as well. Just hoping the transferring of power won't affect the breakers. Probably not the thread to discuss that but that's why I asked the questions.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Building very remotely rural and still weighing in the factors of doing all the Arc Faults like I should or just using the same breakers that have proven effective for decades. Decisions, decisions. The extra piece of mind would be comforting but the hassle is what scares me.

If you can legally not install Arc Faults that is what I would do. They shouldn't give you any comfort or piece of mind since they are useless for their intended purpose.

-Hal

4x4dually

Occupation
If you can legally not install Arc Faults that is what I would do. They shouldn't give you any comfort or piece of mind since they are useless for their intended purpose.

-Hal
Roger that. I'll be wiring my own, naturally, without any permits and/or inspections required. I was contemplating having a 3rd party inspector come in and do a full walk-through so that IF it every burned down, I would have an inspection on file for insurance purposes.....but Lordy. If every breaker is AFCI/GCFI @ $45+ yada yada yada, I may have to save another year to even start building. LOL I've looked at the Leviton Smart Panels and contemplated that but holy smokes....$4000-5000+. It'd be neat....but SQ D Homeline has served me well for decades and I've never had any issues with the regular old stuff.

Sorry for the thread derail. Carry on. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.