Utility Demand Imbalance

Status
Not open for further replies.

xguard

I have a building with 272 kw peak demand according to the utility company. Does anyone know if they measure the demand using the highest leg or if it's a summing situation. If the phases aren't evenly loaded, and their demand value doesn't take this into account could I have higher current on one leg than the calculation below shows?

208/120 3 phase. Assuming 0.9 pf (that's what I've seen at other buildings not sure that's accurate for this building.)
272kw/0.9pf = 302 kva.
839 amps
839 amps x 1.25 = 1049 amps

My concern is I'm planning to reduce the over-current protection to 1200 amps (1200 amp fusible switch ahead of switchboard). (Acknowledging the 1.25 is applied to the entire load gives me some cushion.) The building currently has a 1600 amp switchboard with a 1600 amp fixed circuit breaker (1967).

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
The POCO demand meter is looking at total power and does not take into account imbalance. Also note that even in a balanced circuit the current could at times be much higher than the demand readings would indicate.

I have a building with 272 kw peak demand according to the utility company. Does anyone know if they measure the demand using the highest leg or if it's a summing situation. If the phases aren't evenly loaded, and their demand value doesn't take this into account could I have higher current on one leg than the calculation below shows?

208/120 3 phase. Assuming 0.9 pf (that's what I've seen at other buildings not sure that's accurate for this building.)
272kw/0.9pf = 302 kva.
839 amps
839 amps x 1.25 = 1049 amps

My concern is I'm planning to reduce the over-current protection to 1200 amps (1200 amp fusible switch ahead of switchboard). (Acknowledging the 1.25 is applied to the entire load gives me some cushion.) The building currently has a 1600 amp switchboard with a 1600 amp fixed circuit breaker (1967).
I have done similar where I have upgraded an old service but decreased the size due to having utility demand data. Personally I would have no problem going with 1200 amps but I am not familiar with the facility and the likelihood of increased load or what the owner does or doesn't want to pay for....

Status
Not open for further replies.