Using Wago's for old, solid aluminum wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see on their US-facing site that the 773 series push-in Wago connectors are "suitable" for connecting solid aluminum wire as long as their Alu-Plus paste is used (the link is below)
I don't see, however how a manufacturer saying on their site that something is "suitable" correlates to an NRTL listing.
in fact, the two UL "approvals" on that page say nothing of aluminum.
So, are they listed for Al or not, and what are the chance that they will pass an inspection?

McLintock

Occupation
Electrician
I do know that some of the fixtures that come with Wago type connectors have AL wire in them, but other than that never came across that.

“ shoot low boys their riding shetland ponies”

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If you download their data sheets you will find:

Connectable conductor materialsCopper

Makes one think it's only allowed for Cu

mlnk

There is a debate going on about whether WAGO is reliable with Copper. Now they are saying to use it with Aluminum...must be a misprint!

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I do know that some of the fixtures that come with Wago type connectors have AL wire in them, but other than that never came across that.

“ shoot low boys their riding shetland ponies”
Are you sure the fixture wire is AL? Not tinned copper which is what most is? UL would not list a fixture with AL fixture wire. I know I would not be willing to install it.

These are good for #10 copper, but not aluminum:

Cheers, Wayne
Yeah, lever connectors apparently can take stranded wire up to 10 AWG, but only copper. No aluminum at all.
Push-ins can do only up to 12 AWG

Status
Not open for further replies.