Using SEU and bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Electrician
With the new meter main breakers outside of the home, it’s caused some confusion for me as an apprentice. I have one journeyman who insists that if you are doing a panel/ meter swap with SEU cable, your ground rods are terminated in the meter main as a #8 conductor while your water main is the EGC with a #6 that’s brought to the panel and terminated.
Another guy says the water meter ECG is brought to the meter main and the ground rods conductor is also brought back there. Any help? Who’s right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
250.24 (1) General. The grounding electrode conductor connection shall be made at any accessible point from the load end of the overhead service conductors, service drop, underground service conductors, or service lateral to, including the terminal or bus to which the grounded service conductor is connected at the service disconnecting means.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
With the new meter main breakers outside of the home, it’s caused some confusion for me as an apprentice. I have one journeyman who insists that if you are doing a panel/ meter swap with SEU cable, your ground rods are terminated in the meter main as a #8 conductor while your water main is the EGC with a #6 that’s brought to the panel and terminated.
Another guy says the water meter ECG is brought to the meter main and the ground rods conductor is also brought back there. Any help? Who’s right?

You mean a GEC not an EGC. A GEC can terminate anywhere from the service disconnect upstream up to the service point.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The conductors that go to the rod and water pipe are called grounding electrode conductor's. They both terminate, as Gus stated, at the service. This can be in the meter main or at the service drop, if it has an overhead drop. Some power company's will not allow the grounding electrode conductor to be in the meter but where I live we usually put the ground rod grounding electrode conductor in the meter and the water pipe grounding electrode conductor in the main panel. They both can be in the service panel.

Occupation
Electrician
The conductors that go to the rod and water pipe are called grounding electrode conductor's. They both terminate, as Gus stated, at the service. This can be in the meter main or at the service drop, if it has an overhead drop. Some power company's will not allow the grounding electrode conductor to be in the meter but where I live we usually put the ground rod grounding electrode conductor in the meter and the water pipe grounding electrode conductor in the main panel. They both can be in the service panel.

So it’s mostly up to the jurisdiction? I’m really sorry but I’m very green. I just don’t want to screw up.
We did what you did. Ground rod Grounding electrode conductor went in the meter and the water pipe GEC in the panel.
At that point the bonding screw was kept in the panel and neutrals weren’t isolated from ground but couldn’t you remove the screw and isolate them at that point?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
The size of the GEC is also dependent on the size of the service conductors. See table 250.66. Generally #8 is only good for a 100A service, even when protected.

Status
Not open for further replies.