use wire use permitted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stew

I am using use for branch feeds from service panels to remote pedastels. May I also use it inside the enclosure for my jumper connections form each of 4 main service disconnects back to the ct can. say 3 ft max?

charlie

Re: use wire use permitted?

No, USE is not permitted inside a building unless it has a dual rating like USE/XHHW. You are permitted to use XHHW inside.

Errata
338.10(B)(4)(b): Revise second paragraph to read:
"Type USE cable shall be installed outside in accordance with the provisions of Article 340. Where Type USE cable emerges from the ground at terminations, it shall be protected in accordance with 300.5(D). Multiconductor service entrance cable shall be permitted to be installed as messenger-supported wiring in accordance with Articles 225 and 396."

This errata has deleted the sentence
"The length of the cable extending indoors to the first termination box shall not exceed 1.8m(6 ft)."

:D

stew

Charlie I forgot to say that this service panel and ct can are all located on a backboard outside and do not feed a structure., Only pedastel outlets in a storage yard.Overhead service to ct can with 4 servcie disconnects below the ct can and then out to yard direct burial.

[ June 27, 2004, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: stew ]

stew

So I can bury it as a feeder or branch but cant use it inside the boxes? hmmm seems strange to me . guess I will pick up some XHHW/THHW to finish up.

charlie

I do not believe the intent is to prohibit the use of USE inside boxes, the intent is to prohibit the use inside buildings. USE has not passed the vertical flame test and may support combustion where used inside a building. :D

stew

So then charlie are you saying that I can or cannot use the use wire in an OUTDOOR enclosure for my internal jumpers from the ct can to the disconnects. Thats the way I read it but somehow Im still cornfused.

charlie

This was not a private conversation, a lot of people have read our posts. I would assume that a few learned something from it, the same as with all of the conversations. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.