Use of Romex in a church wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

bencelest

I have used Romex wires in residential wiring extensively but I am not familiar whether I can use Romex wires to wire 7 flourescent lights in one of the rooms in an old church since it is not residential. Do I need to use EMT for the outlets and switches and lights?

bencelest

Re: Use of Romex in a church wiring

Ryan: The location was not in the assembly area rather it is a separate room perhaps used for private meeting or hold a class. It is also all wood frame including the roof joist but it is being renovated so sheetrock will be place on ceiling. They wanted me to install 7 flourescent lights surface mounted.

Hurk27: Thanks for replying.

earlydean

NM cable is fine, so long as the walls and ceiling involved are not fire rated partitions. You can tell by looking at the plans, or the sheetrock (GWB). It would be Type X fire rated.

[ November 21, 2003, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: earlydean ]

bencelest

Thanks Ryan and Earlydean. My next question is : Can I use #12 wire gage NM and 20amp CB? Since it is over 100 ft from the source.

ryan_618

You are welcome :)

Voltage drop is dependant upon the load served. Without knowing the exact amperage of the lights, it would be impossible for me to tell you.

My gut feeling says that you won't have any problem.

earlydean

I use Table 8 of Chapter 9 for resistance values, and the formula: VD=2ILR/1,000 to compute the voltage drop. I try to limit the VD to 3% for a branch circuit or feeder. I also assume 20 amps for a 20 amp circuit for a worst case situation.
Using 1.93 as my resistance per thousand feet for #12 copper, I compute a voltage drop of 7.72 volts.
If you started with 120 volts this is a drop of 6.4 %, much too much. Using #10, I compute a drop of 4.84 volts and 4%, still too much. #8 gets 3.11 volts and 2.6 %, finally OK.
Of course, if your actual load is less, then #10s may be sufficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.