Use of Portable Electronic Devices near Classified Locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherwin Baga

Occupation
Electrical Engineer/Project Manager
Good morning,

I have a question about the use of portable electronic devices such as cellphones, camera, wireless access points in areas adjacent to locations classified as Class 1, Group D, Division 2. I am just talking about one building and this building is classified as C1/D2 except for few areas that are excluded from this classification. Is there any provision in the NEC prohibiting the use of these electronic devices inside the excluded areas?

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
I don't think the NEC would have anything to say about it because it governs installed equipment. If there is any such rule, it's likely OSHA.

Most handheld battery-operated devices have non-metallic housings and operate at low enough power levels that they aren't likely to be an ignition source. Older cameras with a xenon flashtube are an obvious exception, as anything that is plugged into a charger, and there are probably others.
(I realize that's a comment about technology, not jurisprudence)

Cherwin Baga

Occupation
Electrical Engineer/Project Manager
If I may, let me modify my previous question. Is it allowed by code to use and install portable electronic devices such as cellphones, camera, wireless access points in locations classified as Class 1, Group D, Division 2? In part, I'm searching for some clarity on this matter as I'm hearing that these devices cannot be used in classified C1/D2 locations. But 500.7 offers protection techniques that allows the use and installation of electronic devices in classified C1/D2 locations. Am I interpreting this correctly?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
If I may, let me modify my previous question. Is it allowed by code to use and install portable electronic devices such as cellphones, camera, wireless access points in locations classified as Class 1, Group D, Division 2? In part, I'm searching for some clarity on this matter as I'm hearing that these devices cannot be used in classified C1/D2 locations. But 500.7 offers protection techniques that allows the use and installation of electronic devices in classified C1/D2 locations. Am I interpreting this correctly?
While Section 90.2 notes that the NEC covers installations in general, Section 500.1 states Articles 500 to 504 covers requirements for electrical and electronic equipment and wiring methods for classified locations. For your specific question, see Section 500.4(B) IN No.6. While Section 500.7 may often apply, due diligence is still necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.