Use of Plastic Snap Rings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always used 1/2"-2 1/2" plastice snap rings for entry into panels and device boxes in residential. As long as I supported the romex within 8" of the box, it was acceptable to enter a panel or device box with romex through a plastic snap ring. Today, I was told by a county inspector in Yuma County, AZ, that I can no longer use plastic snap rings to enter panels and device boxes because you can pull the romex out of these boxes. Does anyone know any NEC justification for not using snap rings to enter panels or device boxes with romex that is stapled within 8" of the box?

[ December 28, 2004, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: ShockedOneinAZsun ]

bphgravity

Re: Use of Plastic Snap Rings

Do these "snap rings" clamp the cable or are they basically a insulated bushing? See section 312.5(C) of the 2002 NEC.

apauling

yes, don't have time to look it up now. look under boxes, panels, connectors. chase nipples have not been allowed for some time as the connector to the panel, or chase nipples into boxes. your bushing is basically a chase nipple.

this may not have been strictly enforced in some areas as tech schools have not included this in their inspector training materials.

very enforcable.

paul

bphgravity,

Bingo! Now that is what I am talking about. Your code reference hit the nail on the head. No, it doesn't clamp to the cable, but it does protect it from abrasion. It is basically a plastic insert type bushing.

iwire

Staff member

Along with Byran's 312.5(C) which will cover panels take a look at 314.17(B) which covers outlet boxes.

Bob Badger,

Thank you for your additional code reference. Together, the two of you have saved me a trip down to the County Inspector's Office that may have proven to be an embarrassment to me.

midget

When would it be OK to use one of the bushing ring things? :p Everything I can think of would need to be clamped. But they must make those rings for something...what ?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

I'm not sure exactly what he is refering to- 1/2"-2 1/2" plastic snap rings. Not seen anything with those dimensions.

There are plastic bushings for steel stud holes but they are larger diameter, others are square. There are also 1/2 and 3/4 (KO size) plastic bushings made by Heyco that snap into the KO and are used for LV wiring generally.

-Hal

hurk27

Why not use the plastic push in NM connectors?
c9nm94i.jpg

like these here:
Arlington Industries, Inc. BLACK BUTTON PLASTIC PUSH-IN CONNECTORS

midget

Anyone ever wired a place with steel studs? Some framer was telling me you could just pop out studs and move them and screw them back in...sounds nifty. :D Are the holes predrilled for the wire? Just like a K/O on a box?

jimwalker

Nothing new about steel studs,they been around a long time.Holes can be punched where needed.Srapping can be a pain.With rising steel prices you won't see them often in homes but very common in commercial buildings.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

Steel studs have large rectangular holes in them already. If you run NM or LV through them you have to use a bushing that is made to fit the hole. If for some reason the stud hasn't got holes, the hole is in the wrong place or you are going through the top or bottom channel (these have no holes) you can drill one with a hole saw or there is a nifty stud puncher that makes a hole in about a second.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.