use of CM cat6 wiring in multiple dwelling units

Status
Not open for further replies.
per the 2011 NEC chapter 800 Risers[D]
its states that only CMP and CMR are allowed to be wired in a multiple floor installation. The use of a CM grade cabling is not allowed unless it is in metallic raceway or a fireproof shaft. Just want to verify this as being 100% correct. I have informed a company I contract for of this but they still supply me with CM cat6 cabling to wire these bldgs. I am assuming that an inspector can make them rewire the bldg with the proper cabling and or fine the you know what out of them. Let me know please.
Thanks;)

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
per the 2011 NEC chapter 800 Risers[D]
its states that only CMP and CMR are allowed to be wired in a multiple floor installation. The use of a CM grade cabling is not allowed unless it is in metallic raceway or a fireproof shaft.

A riser would be a vertical run between floors. For that you need to use CMR. The rest of the wiring on each floor can be CM. That said, I don't know if there is any practicality to that because you can have runs that originate on one floor and go up to another making the only logical thing to do is make it all CMR.

Add to that the fact that there is really no different in price when you compare CM to CMR, it makes no sense to use or even stock CM.

An inspector can make you remove it and replace it with the proper cable but there are no fines involved.

-Hal

agreed. I have explained this to these people but they dont care. they bought a ton of this crap from china at about 30 bucks a box and why they bought CM is probably to be cheapskates...thanks for your response

Todd0x1

agreed. I have explained this to these people but they dont care. they bought a ton of this crap from china at about 30 bucks a box and why they bought CM is probably to be cheapskates...thanks for your response

Is the cable UL listed, and is is possibly CCA? I am skeptical not because of china, but because of the price. I don't think actual ul listed copper CAT anything can be had for $30 a box (unless the boxes are 500ft) There is alot of CCA (copper coated aluminum) out there, and sometimes it pops up not labeled as such and/or with fake UL stickers.

Status
Not open for further replies.