USB near a bathtub

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
From what I read, the phone was connected to a 120V input to USB charger fed with an extension cord from another room and the phone dropped in the water.

It quoted a source that said the phone never dropped in the water.

There was a burn mark on the teen's hand. It sounds like the parents suggested she grabbed the phone, but more likely she grabbed the frayed part of the extension cord with a wet hand.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Whatever. The point is that a safe USB charging receptacle would be better than someone running an extension cord but not better than just not charging your phone in the bathtub to begin with.

-Hal

retirede

Whatever. The point is that a safe USB charging receptacle would be better than someone running an extension cord but not better than just not charging your phone in the bathtub to begin with.

-Hal

There are some people who simply cannot not use their phone at any time. They end up requiring charging at most any time and place.
Perhaps the bathtub scenario is simply Darwin’s theory at work?

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
The specific details of this death aren't really important. Good design means protecting everbody's health & safety, including children who don't comprehend hazards yet and people whose behavior you disapprove of.

Germany has begun embedding pedestrian-crossing signals in sidewalks, to protect people who live their lives perpetually eyes-down.
South Africa has had a practice of not installing any switches or convenience receptacles in bathrooms. Just a light, with the light switch in the hallway. (maybe they still do; I haven't been there in a while)

retirede

The specific details of this death aren't really important. Good design means protecting everbody's health & safety, including children who don't comprehend hazards yet and people whose behavior you disapprove of.

Germany has begun embedding pedestrian-crossing signals in sidewalks, to protect people who live their lives perpetually eyes-down.
South Africa has had a practice of not installing any switches or convenience receptacles in bathrooms. Just a light, with the light switch in the hallway. (maybe they still do; I haven't been there in a while)

England has always been like that. Probably how SA got it.

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer

-Hal
This is an example of why 5V is still a bad idea.

You can never be sure of the isolation in a switchmode power supply, especially the really cheap dodgy USB chargers. Medical-grade power supplies are properly designed, built, and QC'ed, though they'd make for a mighty expensive phone charger. :)

SceneryDriver

Last edited by a moderator:

steven765

Occupation
engineer
That's why you supply the transformer I mentioned in my post above from a GFCI protected circuit.

-Hal
Oh yea that was what I meant when it would be on GFCI, however the new rules are no receptacle period. As that device doesn't fall in that category per code was being creative. a.k.a I was bored and not doing quarterly reviews :)

Status
Not open for further replies.