UPS and Battery bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have a load which is 35 kVA a sputtering machine, A motor which is 13 kW and another sputtering machine which has load of 20kVA. could someone help me desing the UPS and the size of battery bank? Thank you.

Sounds like you have close to 80kva connected load (3-phase?), so look for a UPS that size or a bit larger (100kva). You probably want to check the the equipment manufacturers for guidance on sizing, too; they may suggest a larger size or not to use a UPS at all (ask for their reasons if they do).

Size of battery bank entirely depends on how long an outage it has to cover, but more than 15 minutes is uncommon for most installations.

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Size of battery bank entirely depends on how long an outage it has to cover, but more than 15 minutes is uncommon for most installations.

Yes, run time matters. Most of the UPS systems I did were 30kVA plus and were for emergency egress lighting in public buildings. The typical autonomy was three hours. Big battery banks.

topgone

@veraniumhydroxide,
You have a very peculiar problem there! As mentioned by others, your load borders on 80 kVA range. Please choose the most likely DC terminal voltage of which you will be comfortable with. This is to limit wire sizes to manageable levels.

Example: If you choose 240V DC bank, you'll be handling around 350A (more or less). If you go with industrial batteries (2- volt per cell), that would mean having 120 cells in series. If you choose 12-V batteries, you'll need 20 batteries in series!

As to the AH rating of the batteries, there are 200AH that you can find, but you have to install not just one string of batteries! As Bes said, "big" battery banks! Imagine having to parallel racks of batteries!

Status
Not open for further replies.