unsafe cap at extension cord?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamesiah

Occupation
Student
Hello,

I came across an extension cord with a metal cap over a thin rubber insulator in a laboratory and thought to share it here to see if it is code-compliant or safe. It didn't look as such, since the configuration appeared to be quite unreliable and the conductor prone to exposure if a wire gets bare for any reason:

extension cord.jpg

extension cord cap.jpg

Thanks.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Forget NEC, I would be more concerned with the OSHA violation.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The cord end needs to be re-terminated so the clamp grips the jacket. What is the white thing?

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
The cord end needs to be re-terminated so the clamp grips the jacket. What is the white thing?
It said travel adapter. I figured someone was using a device from another country on the cord.

Jamesiah

Occupation
Student

It said travel adapter. I figured someone was using a device from another country on the cord.

correct. it is an adapter. so I understand you agree that the clamp as it is currently attached isn't safe coz a potential conductor touch can create a hazard. thanks.

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
Adding another thing to consider ... using the COILED cable at otherwise satisfactory current levels will significantly heat the coiled portion. We had a post some years back with (I think) 5 amps and a coil of 14-2 NM. The NM jacket blistered IIRC.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
correct. it is an adapter. so I understand you agree that the clamp as it is currently attached isn't safe coz a potential conductor touch can create a hazard. thanks.

No. It isn't as dire as you make it out to be. There are no exposed conductors that anybody could come in contact with and receive a shock. The individual insulated white, black and green conductors are supposed to be enclosed within the cord cap, the clamp needs to tightly grab the orange jacket so that it lessens the possibility of what you see happening when someone yanks on the cord. One more yank like that and the connections could come loose from the screws and out of the cord cap. It's then that you would have a problem.

So what needs to happen is the cord cut back, stripped properly and the cord cap reinstalled with the clamp tightened securely.

Then instruct everybody not to pull on cords, grab it by the plug or cap.

-Hal

Jamesiah

Occupation
Student
No. It isn't as dire as you make it out to be. There are no exposed conductors that anybody could come in contact with and receive a shock. The individual insulated white, black and green conductors are supposed to be enclosed within the cord cap, the clamp needs to tightly grab the orange jacket so that it lessens the possibility of what you see happening when someone yanks on the cord. One more yank like that and the connections could come loose from the screws and out of the cord cap. It's then that you would have a problem.

So what needs to happen is the cord cut back, stripped properly and the cord cap reinstalled with the clamp tightened securely.

Then instruct everybody not to pull on cords, grab it by the plug or cap.

-Hal
thanks. yea, first I thought I was being too worried, but then didn't want to risk overlooking it and regret later when an incident occurs which could be avoided! as you noted, I perceived a potential direct contact possible between the metal clamp and any of the enclosed conductors which are supposed to be protected under insulation, but are not impossible to lose their insulation by a "pull" or cut or any other reason, say shake, heat etc.

hbiss

Occupation
EC
... but are not impossible to lose their insulation by a "pull" or cut or any other reason, say shake, heat etc.

I think your bigger worry is the condition and quality of that extension cord. That would have come with a molded cord cap but apparently it probably wound up like the replacement in your picture. With cheap cords, it often doesn't take much to pull the cable out of the cap or plug. Then, look at how it's all twisted up even though it gets wound on a reel. That's a sign of a cheap Chinese cord that's been abused.

So really, I wouldn't worry about the cord cap, I would just replace the whole thing with something better.

-Hal

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I didn't think extension cord conversations were part of what this site was about unless it was being used as part of the permenant wiring.

Oh well.

JAP>

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Adding another thing to consider ... using the COILED cable at otherwise satisfactory current levels will significantly heat the coiled portion. We had a post some years back with (I think) 5 amps and a coil of 14-2 NM. The NM jacket blistered IIRC.
I believe the instructions on most reels say something like, "Unwind all of the wire on the reel before plugging anything in." Anything else violates the manufacturer's instructions...

Jamesiah

Occupation
Student
I didn't think extension cord conversations were part of what this site was about unless it was being used as part of the permenant wiring.

Oh well.

JAP>
thanks and apologies if I chose the wrong thread. this sounded the most relevant one I thought, as was seeking its (NEC) code compliance status.

hbiss

Occupation
EC
thanks and apologies if I chose the wrong thread. this sounded the most relevant one I thought, as was seeking its (NEC) code compliance status.

Actually the NEC has nothing to say about extension cord construction or maintenance. Construction would be a UL issue, maintenance would be an OSHA issue, how to use it would be a manufacturer instruction issue. None of which we get into here.

-Hal

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Actually the NEC has nothing to say about extension cord construction or maintenance. Construction would be a UL issue, maintenance would be an OSHA issue, how to use it would be a manufacturer instruction issue. None of which we get into here.

-Hal
While the NEC is for premise wiring, there are many sections that deal with equipment that plugs in, such as decorative holiday lighting, portable luminaires and Article 400 con Flexible Cords and Flexible Cables.
Flexible cords and cables are commonly misused for fixed wiring of a structure, see 400.12
400.13 covers splices in flexible cords and repair of hard service and junior service cord

But for the original question, you can replace the cord cap or preferably get a new cord set.
Employees will often bring to work extension cords, and electric heaters from home, I have gone on building inspections with the fire department and we end up with a box full of cords and heaters

Status
Not open for further replies.