Ungrounded circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, can an ungrounded circuit be extended using Romex ?
Geo

I assume you are asking about extending an existing two-wire residential branch circuit with a non-grounding outlet receptacle? And you want to know if the branch circuit can be extended using new NMB wire? What code cycle are you on? What state are you in? What is the current wire type? Do you have a way to ground the new EGC?

geochurchi

Occupation
Retired electrician
Ungrounded circuit

Hi, 2014 NEC, old 2 wire cable,I do have access to a EGC,also which code article applies? I have been told that the
circuit needs to be abandoned as is and a new circuit must be installed.
Geo

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
If it is the UF cable (gray romex) then you can extend it using UF cable or another approved wiring method of course using the correct junction box as well. Also what do you mean by "I have access to the EGC" ?

Now, as far as the abandoning the existing, that is a design issue. NEC does not get involved.

Hi, 2014 NEC, old 2 wire cable,I do have access to a EGC,also which code article applies? I have been told that the
circuit needs to be abandoned as is and a new circuit must be installed.
Geo

A partial list of NEC code Articles that would specifically apply are:
210.12(B) Branch Circuit Extensions and Modifications
250.130(C) Non-grounding Receptical Replacement or Branch Circuit Extension
406.4(D) Receptacle Replacement
334.12 Insulation

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
If it is the UF cable (gray romex) then you can extend it using UF cable or another approved wiring method of course using the correct junction box as well. Also what do you mean by "I have access to the EGC" ?

Now, as far as the abandoning the existing, that is a design issue. NEC does not get involved.

Sorry, I need to start reading better. :(
I read your post as "underground" hence my post about UF cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.