Underground Utility Locators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenvalor

Are there any good underground utility locators on the market that cost less than $2,000.00? I have the Ideal #62-135. Bought it about 25 - years ago and it works okay but it would be nice to upgrade to something more accurate and perhaps that has radar capabilities for non-metallic lines.

Thanks for the advice.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
I wish. GPR is going to be way more expensive. Even a "good" tracer is going to be more expensive. Was recently in the market for one, 6-7G was a "good" one that I've used in the past. GPR going to cost 15-20G.

SSDriver

Occupation
Electrician
In my area(CA) you call 811 for dig alert. It's required for utility locating and its free. Do they not have something similar in your area?

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
In my area(CA) you call 811 for dig alert. It's required for utility locating and its free. Do they not have something similar in your area?
True ... In California it's the law. You have to call at least three days before you dig or install a ground rod. All the utilities are notified and each use a different color to mark their location.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I use a Greenlee 501, works only on deenergized lines though. I have put it up against the much more expensive utility tracers, and it was just as accurate in finding de-energized lines.

Attachments

• E1AFD702-8E37-431B-AFB0-8AC396944B80.jpg
    E1AFD702-8E37-431B-AFB0-8AC396944B80.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 5

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
And you can’t work off another trades locate, I know of a foreman that did that, and hit a water main. Company still got the bill for the damages, even though the locate company missed the line, and because he didn’t have his own locate.

Status
Not open for further replies.