underground sub feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

domnic

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Can i use a bare copper wire ran with urd al for equipment ground ( under ground )???????????????????????????????????????

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
"URD" with no other rating is not a NEC recognized wiring method. Often that conductor is also marked USED and/or RHW which makes it a recognized NEC wiring method.
If an EGC is need,a bare CU would be acceptable.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
"URD" with no other rating is not a NEC recognized wiring method. Often that conductor is also marked USED and/or RHW which makes it a recognized NEC wiring method.
If an EGC is need,a bare CU would be acceptable.
If it is being used as USE cable, I don't think you can add an EGC in the dirt next to it and have it comply with the requirement to have all the circuit conductors and the egc be in the same cable.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It doesn't matter if it is a cable or not, the language in 300.3(B)(3) permits this as the parent text in 300.3(B) says "unless otherwise permitted in accordance with 300.3(B)(1) through (B)(4)"

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
If it is being used as USE cable, I don't think you can add an EGC in the dirt next to it and have it comply with the requirement to have all the circuit conductors and the egc be in the same cable.
Its very common here in Washington to run 3 conductor 4-0, 4-0, 2-0 with bare CU as a feed for mobile homes, direct bury in the same ditch

Status
Not open for further replies.