Underground Raceway for Verizon FiOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
For security reasons I'm moving my current overhead FiOS drop underground. Anyone know what size PVC is needed to fit the head of the fiber optic cable? Looking at the end in the ONT is looks like I'll need at least a 1.25" raceway.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I would run 2". I would guess if you were to dig into spec's it probably requires a minimum of 2". Verizon, AT&T & Comcast all had a boiler plate requirements for 2" minimum for residential underground "drops". Most techs would install in smaller raceways but I've run across a few that would refuse.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Here's the factory connector. Looks like 1.25" might work. I might just pull it out and pull it in myself. ;)
FiOS Fiber Connector.jpg

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Things must be getting rough in NJ :)
LOL. No eminent threats just part of an overall security strategy. Doesn't make much sense to have Internet connected security devices when some could cut the fiber in one second on the side of the house.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We used to do that with copper. If it couldn't be buried we would sleeve it in EMT or GRC and LB it into the house.

I would go with 2".

-Hal
Yes that's the plan, RMC up the pole and on the house, PVC underground about 100'. Might even fill the ends with concrete.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
Verizon is going to love you if they have to change that cable. :mad:

-Hal
They will just cut it and re terminate it. I know that takes a different tech but no different from a new FIOS service.

LOL. No eminent threats just part of an overall security strategy. Doesn't make much sense to have Internet connected security devices when some could cut the fiber in one second on the side of the house.

You can get an LTE fail over if your really concerned about wan side connection https://unifi-lte.ui.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.