Underground PVC Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkb

I am on a job that had a 4" PVC conduit damaged by the backhoe digging for the sire lighting.

To repair the 4" PVC in the trench since I can't get the pipe to bend and I only have 3' to work with, is a PVC expansion coupling acceptable for the conduit repair?

Rampage_Rick

Usually telescopic fittings are only used for plumbing. Split-piece repairs are used for electrical since they don't have to contain any pressure.

conduitrepair-web.jpg

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I've used expansion fittings on many occasions where I didn't have enough ditch open to bow the conduit into a proper coupling. If the conduit has wire in it, get the split conduit Rick posted. It works far better than the other types I've used. I always take it a step further and get some stainless hose clamps to go around it in at least 3 places to make sure it never comes apart again. The hard part is cutting the broken ends of the conduit straight without knicking the wire....

iwire

Staff member
True.

If the expansion coupling works for you, I say go for it.

Bob/iwire will now post shortly with a code section showing where I am wrong.:D

Hey, I have ground the bump out of standard couplings so I could slid them out of the way to make room for a repair section. :cool:

10fords

Hey, I have ground the bump out of standard couplings so I could slid them out of the way to make room for a repair section. :cool:

I cut the bell end off a stick of conduit and use it as a slip coupling. The local utility co. has off the shelf slip couplers, but I don't know where they get them. I've never used one of those split piece repairs- Who makes them? Seems like they would be slick for the rare time when there is damaged conduit with undamaged wires in it.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I cut the bell end off a stick of conduit and use it as a slip coupling. The local utility co. has off the shelf slip couplers, but I don't know where they get them. I've never used one of those split piece repairs- Who makes them? Seems like they would be slick for the rare time when there is damaged conduit with undamaged wires in it.
Carlon for one, I'm sure there are others.

I've made my own on a table saw before. You have go up a pipe size, set the fence a tad off center, and use two whole pieces of pipe to get each half in order to make up for the material that is lost to the saw kerf.

Status
Not open for further replies.