underground parallel entrance for 400 amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
In my state, underground service is supplied to my meter on a house, but not in a Louisville job. It is the homeowner or contractor's responsibility. For a 400 amp residential service, I will run two parallel runs of 4\0 4\0 2\0 URD AL, each run in it's two inch conduit. Anyone see anything wrong with this? The utility company on the phone sounds ok with it, but they are extremely hard to get a hold of. This part has always been done in my own state by the utility company, not the contractor. 100 feet run from the pole to house meter. Thank you.

JDB3

I do not believe that 4/0 Al. in parallel would be rated for the 400 amp service. Probably will need to step it up to 250 or even 300 to get true 400 amps. Also consider longer than normal sweeps/90's to make pull easier.

Iron_Ben

Well, without knowing any details I think it's a reasonable plan, although it looks like about 360 amps worth of wire to me. When I worked for the POCO, most underground services we did were 200 amps. Those were typically 1/0 or 2/0 unless they were crazy long. We did plenty of 400 amp services though. Some were 4/0; most were 350 MCM. All wire was aluminum URD triplex.

Gaffen99

If your running in pipe and up a pole, use xhhw. It will probably save you some money, why use direct burial? JCP&L never runs service laterals anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.