Under 1100 gallon Gasoline storage tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

groomsey

A customer of mine has an under 1100 gallon gasoline storage tank sitting outside about 8' off their maintenance building. They asked us to hook up the small fuel pump on the top of it. There is a 4x4 pole with a light and a receptacle (not explosion proof or anything like that) about 4' away that we want to hook power to. I am wanting to know if anyone knows of any exception to this being a class 1 Div 2 area due to any of the following:
1. The size of the tank and it being double walled.
2. TCEQ paperwork allowing it to be an unregulated tank because it is under 1100 gallons.
3. This is not Fuel Dispensing business.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• IMG_0723.jpg
    IMG_0723.jpg
    516.9 KB · Views: 12

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
The three “bullets” are irrelevant; Article 514 applies. See Sections 514.1 & 2; it doesn’t have to be a “business”; it’s still a fuel dispensing facility.

That said, it shouldn’t be too difficult to wire it consistent with Article 514.

kwired

Electron manager
Keep in mind the only place that is a classified location is where fuel/vapors would typically be present, which is at the dispenser itself and near any tank vents.

The pole with light, I am assuming is that thing in background near left rear of the tank, might not be within any classified locations associated with this tank. If it is, it is probably only the portions up to 18" above grade that are the only thing within a classified location.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Actually, NEC FIGURE 514.3(B) is a pretty good diagram for classifying the installation. Depending on penetrations in the building and wiring methods to the pole, the Figure is accurate.

As always, I recommend somebody who actually understands the full installation determine and document [Section 500.4]the location classifications.

groomsey

Actually, NEC FIGURE 514.3(B) is a pretty good diagram for classifying the installation. Depending on penetrations in the building and wiring methods to the pole, the Figure is accurate.

As always, I recommend somebody who actually understands the full installation determine and document [Section 500.4]the location classifications.
So the picture shows the full installation. The light pole is actually to the right of the tank, not shown in the picture. We just need power to that small pump. What would be your thoughts on SO cord for power.

The light pole/receptacle is supplied by pvc coated MC and I haven't done any homework on whether or not that falls into a cable that is allowed in this classified section. (The pole was existing when the tank got put in)

kwired

Electron manager
"So the picture shows the full installation. The light pole is actually to the right of the tank, not shown in the picture. We just need power to that small pump. What would be your thoughts on SO cord for power.

The light pole/receptacle is supplied by pvc coated MC and I haven't done any homework on whether or not that falls into a cable that is allowed in this classified section. (The pole was existing when the tank got put in)
IMO 400.12(1) would say not permitted.

I think for flexible cord to be used for this is pushing any the permissions in 400.10

If you do come up with legitimate reason to get past 400.10 and 400.12, 501.10(B)(2)(6), requires extra hard usage cord but the "2" in (B)(2)(6) is for where flexibility is required. Such dispenser on tank like this shouldn't require flexibility.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Beyond kwired’s post above, Section 501.140 outlines where flexible cords are permitted in hazardous locations. Your current pump installation isn’t one of them.

The wiring method the light pole will need to address Section 514.8. The luminaire on the pole will also need to address Section 514.7. [Which is essentially 511.7] Either one may be painful, but not necessarily.

Status
Not open for further replies.